Hey other breastfeeding Mommies!

How long did it take you to get your period back. I just had my baby a few weeks ago and I was told it could be a few months. When you did finally get it was it lighter or did it come back normal?

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine came back at 16 months :) We're still BFing at 19 months now but not enough to keep my period from coming back I guess :(
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Oh and the first 2 months it seemed a little lighter, but I just got it today and it seems more normal this time.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I was one of those lucky gals that got it back right at six weeks...note the sarcasm...and it came regularly every 28 days for two of my babies and with my middle child my cycle varied in length from 31-42 days.

I have a SIL that doesn't get hers back for over a year each time. And my husbands Aunt didn't get one until 9 months later. It depends on the woman.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:37 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• For me it was back at 8 weeks after my first and 10 weeks after my second. I was exclusively bfing, on demand, and all night (atleat it seemed so).

For my mom it didn't come back until much later. Like around 18 months or so, but she was usually pregnant by that point! She went years without one.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:47 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We practice delayed solids and extended breastfeeding. I didn't get mine back until DS was well over two years old. It was the same as it was before pregnancy. I also didn't know I was ovulating at that point, and while using birth control we ended up pregnant, too. So that's something to be aware of - you can ovulate while breastfeeding and not be aware of it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Anon :49, that's not true. If you ovulate, you WILL bleed, unless you get pregnant. It's possible to "catch the first egg" before you have a period while you're breastfeeding, but you don't just continuously ovulate without a period.

I got my period back at 6 months right after we introduced solids. It was lighter, and my cycle was longer than usual (42 days) and anovulatory (no ovulation) for a couple cycles. Then it evened out.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Ati 13, I agree with Anon. You can certainly ovulate without a period. I thought that was a well known fact?? That's why the importance of birth control is so stressed to EBFing moms who don't want to get to pregnant again right away.

And to answer the original question- I have no idea! Lol. My first two babies weren't BF long enough for me to really notice any difference. I'm currently BFing but my baby's only 2 weeks old so I've still got the remnants of the post partum bleeding (TMI sorry).
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i breastfed for 16months and got my period back 2 weeks after i weaned her...i didnt have a perido the whole time since i gave birth,,crazy huh
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• With my first, I didn't get my period back until she was 9 months old and then it was lighter than it had been, and continued to be lighter until she was 15 months and I got pregnant again. With #2, I got my period back at 6 weeks, it was light and easy for a couple of months, but now it's back to its regular, pain in the backside self lol. Basically, it's different with every woman and with every kid.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:46 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• im at 8months and still nothing
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2009