Another Breastfeeding question.

I was told to steer clear of chocolate, but does eating it really affect your baby? anyone still breastfeeding and eating chocolate without problems? Is it worth testing out?

KayLundy3

Asked by KayLundy3 at 12:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• These is no problem eating chocolate while breastfeeding.
    The only time you would have to stay away is if baby was allergic to chocolate. Other than that eat up! : )
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Some babies can be very sensitive to the theobromine in chocolate - the chemical similar to caffeine in coffee. However, while my son was very sensitive to caffeine (I drank no caffeine of any kind for the entire first year), he wasn't sensitive to chocolate. I would suggest giving it a try, especially if you're like me and will "live" without coffee (my one vice), but can't survive without chocolate! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'm a chocolate addict. It didn't bother DD at all.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i was told to eat 'everything' while pregnant and breastfeeding for baby not to have any future allergies. mother's milk is best accepted always. i noticed that chocolate definetevly improves my mood, but the next day i would feel v. sad and wanting to cry to myself on account of sthg silly enough said.I would tell - do not overdo eating it.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 12:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I've had no problems eating chocolate while breastfeeding, however a friend of mine had to give it up (the chocolate, not the nursing) while she nursed her 2nd baby - he was super sensitive to it. I would go ahead and eat it until you notice a tummy problem.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Eat whatever you want unless you notice it upsetting lo's tummy. I cut dairy and all caffeinated drinks for 6 months, still ate chocolate; dd didn't have any issues with it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• All 3 of my kids have had NO problems with me eating chocolate! The reality is there is No food moms should avoid while breastfeeding (every culture has a different list of "forbidden foods"). The only food you should avoid is one that upsets your baby. for most babies what mom eats is not a problem.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• No problems here!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2009