inducing milk need help

As some of you know I just gave birth to my son at 25 weeks and 4 days gestation. NICU is waiting for my milk supply to come inso they canstart givinghim a teeny tiny bit at a time. I waswondering what else I can do to help bring on lactation. I am using the electric pump every 2- 3 hours hoping to stimulate and bring on the milk process, any other natural ways I can try to help bring it on? Thanks in advance!

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 12:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my suggestion is keep using the pump more an more each day instead of trying every 3 hours try doing it every 1 hour so it can come it faster good luck
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Spend time with your baby. Touch him any time they will let you. What pump are you using? that will make a big difference. Does the hospital have a hospital grade pump you can rent or borrow? That would be best.

Until the milk comes production is mostly run by hormones. Your body is signaled to start making milk when the placenta separates from the uterine wall. Your body knows it needs to make milk now, and it will whether you ahve a baby suclking at your breast or not (though the pump still helps have an abundant supply). And, as an extra special bonus, it will be super high in fat and nutrients and immunities for your premature baby, because your body knows he needs extra help. Pretty cool, right?

AFTER your milk comes in you will need to keep removing it from the breast to stimulate more production. A really good pump is a must for a mom with a very premature baby.

GL and keep us posted! HUGS!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• http://kellymom.com/
    this webite is awesome and helped me so much when i was Bfing. GL!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If you join the BF group on here there's a whole section with all kinds of info. I'd see if they won't let you drink mothers milk tea and take fenugreek. Someone also told me that alfalfa tablets help I don't know if its true but it's worth checking into. GL momma! OHHH and oatmeal. whether its in the form of breakfast or even oatmeal cookies.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I agree about using the pump as much as possible even if its ever 1 or 2 hours. If you actually think about the baby while you're doing it, it actually can help more milk come down. Talk to the NICU nurses to see when the hospital's lactation consultant will be in and if/when you can make an appt with her. That's what I did when my little one was in the NICU, and it really helped cuz she was able to answer a lot of my questions and helped coach me through the first time I fed her by breast. (She was only 4 lbs, so I was pretty nervous!) The NICU nurses and hospital staff can usually be very helpful and supportive! Your precious little one is in my family's prayers. Hope pumping gets better! When things get rough, just make sure to give yourself credit for giving your little boy a huge advantage by breastfeeding! It makes all the difference with our little preemies and helps bring them home sooner! :)
    clarvoek

Answer by clarvoek at 5:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Oh, staying hydrated and drinking lots of water helps! Little healthy snacks throughout the day can make sure you're body gets the energy it needs to make milk, too! That's one way I kept my milk supply up! :D
    clarvoek

Answer by clarvoek at 5:44 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It will come when it comes. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to help it come in. You can try using Mother's Milk tea and fenugreek to get (and keep) your supply up, because exclusively pumping can diminish your supply. As soon as possible, get your baby to your breast (I know you will have to wait). Get a lactation consultant ASAP!!!! Try pumping with your baby there, and think about your baby, imagine holding him and nursing him (it will help get your let down going). Pump as much as you possibly can, and make sure you have lots of SUPPORT around you (ie spouse, your parents, etc). Getting everyone on board makes a big difference, and even telling your SO that you need encouragement helps.
    I commend you for nursing!!! It will really help your baby get strong and healthy!! Hang in there, mommy, and know you are doing the best thing for your baby!!! Best of luck to you!!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2009