How long can you have the humidifier on?

is it 1hr 2, 3? DS has flem in his cough n I'm turning it on tonite. No electrical appliances in da room except the humidifier.

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• As long as you need it. Who said there was a limit?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Let it run. I've never heard you only run it for a certain amount of time. We have a whole house one running all the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My sis dr told her not to have it on too long. Then I heard other moms say if u have it on too long u might get mold in da bdrm.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We run dd's all night- it is a cool mist humidifier. Her room gets too dry otherwise and she wakes up horribly congested. It's been a year and no mold. Just be sure you replace or sterilize the filter on a regular basis to prevent mold growth THERE. Then the mold would get circulated in the blown damp air and create mold elsewhere.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I keep mine on when we are sick for the whole night and in the day clean it. They sell liquids to place in the water if you keep your humidifier all the time to keep you should use the liquid. You don't mold coming out.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 7:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We leave our humidifiers to run all day & night. They are cool mist humidifiers, though, not warm, and our house is extremely dry. But I digress....The warm mist humidifiers are the ones that can encourage mold growth, but even the cool mist ones can encourage mold growth if your house is very warm (condensation on the windows and/or walls means too much moisture in the air), so you just need to keep an eye on the humidity levels in your home (for example, we can't seem to keep the humidity level in our house above 34%, which is okay, but not really high enough).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• A humidifier and vaporizer are 2 different things. A humidifier is for an entire house or room and as long as there is water in it, it can run all the time. A vaporizer is for one room and the limit is ususally 8 hours at one time. (As long as there is water in it).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2009