How do I curb tantrums with an 8 month old?

My son is 8.5 months old, and he has recently started throwing tantrums. Not just like cry when we take something away and then happy again when we distract him with a new toy, but like, scream bloody murder for a good ten minutes before finally being tired of crying and trying to get into something else he's not allowed to. I know he's only 8 months, but how do I discipline him? Do I even discipline him or just let it pass as a phase? I don't want him to learn that if he throws a tantrum he gets his way. We went out to dinner tonight, and he was sitting at the table screaming....he screamed till I started feeding him, which I was in the process of getting ready to do anyways.

He just seems so young to be disciplined...we tell him no, but all he does is scream more.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

bensmum25

Asked by bensmum25 at 2:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At eights months he is too young to throw a temper tantrum. He isn't screaming to try to manipulate you. He is screaming because he is sad over the loss of something he had. You are right in feeling he is too young to discipline. It is a phase. Just do the best you can to distract him when you have to take something away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster :) It does get better!!! One thing that has helped in our house is to really make an effort to set them up for success - for instance, keeping things we don't want them into out of reach so that it never has to be taken away. That still doesn't help the "I want my food now" screaming - For that, I keep a small baggie of finger foods in the diaper bag so that as soon as my son is in the high chair there is food ready to go while I get his actual meal straightened out.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 5:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I really don't have advice on how to make the tantrums stop. But I just wanted to tell I have a DS who will be 8 months on the 16th, and he does the exact same things. He never really cries anymore at all it is always just a SCREAM! He is always screaming it seems like, if he wants something he can't have, like if he sees us with a drink he will kick and scream for it, and when I try to give him a sippy cup instead he will just take it and throw it down and continue to scream. And night time has gotten horrible, he will be so sleepy, like barely holding his eyes open, and kicking and whining.
    He has even gotten to where he will take fits when he sees other kids with toys.
    I also agree that they are too young to be disciplined. I do however constantly say "No.No.No." in a not mean but more stern voice, that way when he does get to an age to know what No means he will know what things he can not have,touch, etc.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I also wanted to say good luck to you, and if you figure some sure fire way to make them stop screaming and taking fits be sure to let me know...lol
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009