testicle question

i was giving my 4 yr old a bath tonight and he started felling his testicles and asked, "mom, what are these called?" i answered, "they're called testicles." and he said, "oh...what are they for?" all i could say was, "they're for something that will happen when you're older." he didn't press the issue, but was that the right thing to say? is there a better way that i could explain it?

TattooedMommy04

Asked by TattooedMommy04 at 4:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would have said, "they will hold your water for making a baby when you are a grown man"

My son was 4 when I told him that Women have a seed and the man has the water to make the seed start to grow into a baby. And when a man loves a woman soooooo much it just overflows and waters the seed!

He was learning about seeds and plants growing at preschool. They had just planted the grass seeds in the cotton that week......lol

I didnt want to lie....but he was too young for a graphic illustration. I wanted something that I could elaborate on later....so when he is ready I will tell him where the moms seed is.....and what the dads water is called....etc etc......
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i think you did the rite thing my sons 3 1.2 and he has played with them lol and asked about them i told them what they where and he said but theres balls in there lol... you did fine.. i mean i never thought i would go into my sons room when he was supossed to be taking a nap and find him under his blanket playing with his pee pee till he was in his teens lol... you did just fine..if you dont feel comfy talking to him about it tell him to ask daddylol
    mrm1787

Answer by mrm1787 at 6:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i told my son they were called balls. he's gonna hear it called that soon enough anyways so i just went ahead and told him. He's only 4 so i don't want to tell him that he is able to make babies with them...when he gets a few years older i will talk with him about everything
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• if he asks again tell him, in my opinion when you fill their heads with gardening advice they're going to be confused.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think you did just fine for telling a 4 year old. He was obviously satisfied with the answer or he would have asked more. Just be honest when he asks questions, but age appropriate. Use appropriate terms for body parts. Don't freak out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think you handled it well. When my 4 year old asked what they were, I told him they were his balls. He did not ask what they were for.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Thank you all for your input. I didn't really feel comfortable with the first answer though. Even with it being a "seed " and "water" it still seemed to be a little too...graphic. besides, even if I gave him the "seed and water" explanation he would've have questioned even further. and those are things i'm just not comfortable to discuss with him yet. Well, i now feel more confident that what I told him was the right thing for now.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2009