Is there anything I can do about leg cramps at night while I'm asleep? Like anything Incan do to keep from getting them?

I was sleeping sooo good and then I got woke up from the leg cramp from hell :( Is there anything you can do to keep from getting them? This has turned into an almost every night thing. And I'm always half asleep trying to figure out how to move or try to rub it but it makes it worse :( I only got leg cramps 2-3 times when I wa pregnant with my first DD but this one is all the time.

misspriss_1987

Asked by misspriss_1987 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Eat more potassium, bananas & potatoes.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Eat more potassium, and be sure to get plenty of water every day. About an hour to two hours before bed, try to drink a full glass (yeah I know, not fun with the "preggo bladder"). Also try to stretch your legs out before bed time, and have your DH/SO massage them.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I used to get them almost every night when I was pregnant with my DH I used to make sure I did a few leg/toe stretches just before going to bed and also make sure you are drinking enough water and getting enough potassium in your diet(bananas).And if you do get one the thing that will make them feel a lot better is either get on cold tile or stand in the bathtub for some reason this works with releasing the cramp it's not 100% fool proof but works.Congrats on your pregnancy.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I agree with the other ladies. I got leg cramps bad the last 2 months. I just drank more water and ate a banana every day
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• They so much! The one this morning made my calf sore where the cramp was. I definitley don't drink enough water bc it males me go to the bathroom even more than j already do (I still drink a little water throughout the day, I just drink more milk than anything tho),
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i jsut eat bananas.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 11:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Make sure you are drinking a lot of water as well. You will get more than usual if you're not consuming enough liquids. It's a "catch-22" because the more you drink, the more you pee, then more you pee, the more you are depleting your potassium levels. Eat a banana for a snack about an hour before you go to bed. For me I seemed to get them more when I layed on my side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• stretching your calves out before going to bed can help as well. Sometimes there is nothing you can do though. They come from the baby pressing on the nerves and vessels.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2009