Should I take him to the ER?

My 5 year old just fell down the stairs and hit his head. He has a big pump knot on his head. I put an ice pack on it and he seems to be doing better now. I plan on keeping an eye on him to make sure though. His doctor's office is closed and they don't have an answering service or anything. Should I take him to the ER or just keep an eye on him throughout the day? Is there anything else I can do for him? Any signs I should look for? Please no bashing! TIA!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If he lost consciousness, you should have been at the ER already.

It made a bump, good sign...swelling IN is bad.
    If it feels soft or like cottage cheese, get him seen.
    Keep an eye on his pupils. They should be equal and react to light the same. If not, get him in.
    If he starts vomiting or has diarrhea, get him in.
    Watch him for the next 48 hours. When he sleeps, make sure he stirs every couple of hours. You don't have to wake him, just make sure he stirs.

If you're uneasy, then take him in. I would also find another pediatrician. One with an answering service so you have medical help available to you after hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If the bump is in the back of his head, I would take him if it is in the front just keep an eye on him. Look out for excessive sleepiness.

Answer by older at 8:38 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• This is what you should do according to the American Academy of Pediatrics

For anything more than a light bump on the head, you should call your child's doctor. Your child's doctor will want to know when and how the injury happened and how your child is feeling.

There is much more info than will fit here. Here is where to find the info.

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_HeadInjury.htm

You need to find a health care provider for your child that can be reached 24/7. Don't count on other people for health info. When you want to find out info you can go to google and type in what you want you want to find. Look for a source like the American Academy of Pediatrics.

I hope your son is ok.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:39 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i would just to make sure he is ok and nothing is really wrong
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• my daughter fell down the basement stairs and hit her forhead smack on the concrete and her buump stuck out a good 2 inches and all we did was put an ice pack on her. she was fine. kids heads are tougher than you think. but everyone i guess is different.. do what you feel is best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't bring him in for a bump...
    If he was knocked out, then for sure. If he starts vomiting, starts slurring his speech or doesn't make sense, or seems very lethargic then you need to call 911.
    You don't need to keep him awake if he normally takes a nap but if he sleeps much longer than he normally would then I would be concerned.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My son fell down a whole flight of stairs on Christmas Day when he was 3. He wasn't knocked out, just had the wind knocked out of him. I was scared to death. I just watched him. That evening he started complaining that his neck hurt, so I brought him to the ER then. They checked him over, took x-rays and said he was fine. You need to use your instincts a little in these circumstances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• OP here- He was fine for the first hour and then he started to vomit and complain of dizziness. I took him to the hospital and they did a Head CT. It came back normal, but told me what to watch for. As far as finding another doctor's office because of being closed on the weekends, well, that is just an inconvenience I will have to deal with. I love his doctor's office. The other doctor's offices do have an answering service but I have had numerous problems from them. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Anonymous

• Keeping an eye on him is a good thing, taking him to the hospital they say that hospitals are not so prepare for children. What ever your decision is the next is to find a doctor's office that have on call services.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 6:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• "taking him to the hospital they say that hospitals are not so prepare for children"

I took him to a Children's Hospital. In no way would I ever take him to our local hospital. We would still be there!
    Anonymous