Is the economy improving where you are?

Do you see evidence that it's picking up on a national scale?

I keep hearing mixed messages on TV, about part time Christmas work, projected Christmas spending, etc.,. I don't know what to believe.
What do you believe about what you hear and what do you see in your town?

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 8:26 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We are not spending as much as usual on Christmas this year. The kids have enough.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:44 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Not here. Our neighbors just lost their home yesterday, my husband has been laid off for the 4th time this year, home sales are stagnant, I counted 11 jobs in the local paper that covers 6 counties, and that includes part time jobs. Small businesses are still closing, factories are still closing and unemployment in our area is at least 17% and rising.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• No, it's not improving around here. And ditto lovin w/ a thinner Christmas. In fact, I feel my kids are so privileged that I will be making them go through their toys to give things they don't play with very often to kids that would love to play with them.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think the area where unemployment is "improving" is among government, union and academia jobs--you know, the ones who actually benefited from the stimulus spree!!

As to how LONG those jobs will remain is anyone's guess. At this point if you have a job it's best to "lay low," don't rock the boat, and do whatever it takes to be an asset to your company, not a hinderance--in other words, don't give your boss ANY reason to reconsider the need for your job or question your productivity. Private companies are hurting big time (as are most other industries) just speaking in general terms. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:16 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Unemployment is still really high, so no matter what the GDP is or how the DOW is doing, the real people are still struggling. My Christmas will be just like last years,..heavy on the home-made gifts and nothing for me & hubs. That's OK with me, we have everything we need anyways!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My DH had his job for 24 years! He's been jobless since January! 24 years prior he was at a co. that closed here! My DD's are married and have family's! They're unemployed too! So is one SIL. Its horrible here! We're not moving! What little family we have live here! Although the jobs are going, going, going. It seems each week its worse. One more thing and another keep breaking down! I've been stranded in the rural country for close to one month! DH is ill now! I never feel Well! Plus we have no health insurance or means to see a DR. I feel hopeless,stranded, friendless and alone!! But on the other hand I am grateful. I'm lucky for reasons too!! We got through it 24 years ago. Here we go again! At least now we don't have small toddlers! But my DD does! Having boys, 4 & almost 2 and a 7 week new Baby girl. They've always depended on me for clothes, diapers and needful things. I'm having a hard time doing that! Don't give up! GL
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My goodness Angellinda! What a tough patch you are going through. I hope something turns around soon for you. Good luck!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I am leaving to get some groceries.

Everytime I hear on the news how things are really starting to pick up, I don't believe it much.

I am glad there are places like Texas, where things are good!
    We need some islands of prosperity!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Ha Ha that is funny, NO!!!

I do not shop like I use to.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:35 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• No real improvements here and tha is right Lori government jobs but I knew that is how it would be to begin with
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2009