Would you take your 2 week old to Dunkin' Donuts?

Gotta get outta the house and we wanted to grab breakfast--if she's going to just sit in her carseat asleep, w/ a blanket over it, and we washed up before we touched her, do you think it's a big deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah why not? I just woul dkeep the carrier covered or facing away from peopl..dont let anyone touch the baby! Have fun you can get out of the house an wash your hands befor touching the baby!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Why not? I took my kids everywhere with me!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Why is the doughnut shop a big deal? More people at Wal-mart, be more worried about that.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• ummm why wouldnt you? does she live in a steril bubble at home or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Um...yes, that's fine. Are you serious?
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 9:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It is a reasonable question from a caring mom. With the swine flu and seasonal flu going around, I'd wonder, too. It is a young age, as you realize, but in this type of place, there aren't hundreds of people breathing on the baby, and with the precautions you mentioned, I'd go for it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i agree with bmat. i worry about bringing my 5 and a half month old because of the swine flu & seasonal flu right now. but i get to the point where i just have to get out of my house for a little bit, so i make sure i bundle him up, try & do the best i can to keep him away from people, dont let people touch him, & wash my hands before i touch him again after touching the door handles & things that everyone has touched. but to be honest, when he was 2 weeks old, i didnt take him out that much, but i think you should be alright.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Newborns should not be around crowds for at least 6 weeks. Breastfed babies are protected by Immune globulin A (IgA) in the breastmilk but are still at risk of infection in the first 6 weeks or so.

Being in a car seat, somehow trying to protect the baby with blankets, or even having the baby in a sling is not protection enough. If you want to get our of the house go for a car ride with someone else driving. You probably shouldn't be driving at 2 weeks either.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i took my daughter everywhere with me. we went to kmart when she was 5days old. as long as nobody touches the baby it is fine.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I took a two day old to a fireworks display, before hand there was a carnival and we were looking at the arts and crafts on display. He was fine. (though admittedly kind of stupid on my part, but neither my mom nor my father's mother, thought anything of it.) We sat in the car during the display. It was rougher on me because of trying to walk through the field it was in.

We took my daughter to the bank, on the way home from the hospital and she was fine, and we went out to eat when she was about a week old.

Babies can't live in bubbles. But then again, it wasn't flu season and there was also no H1N1 to add to it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2009