what do i do about my three yr old who will not eat anything but cheese sandwhiches, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, apples, fruit snacks, anything he thinks is junk food? i have tried everything and seems like nothing works

three year old picky eater

Asked by buddahbug at 7:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop serving those things or having them in the house and give him what you want him to eat. Believe it or not children WILL NOT intentionally starve themselves at 3 years old. When he is hungry he WILL eat what you give him.

Answer by vbruno at 7:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I once had a three yr old who would literally eat nothing except cheerios, hot dogs, sliced cheese, or mac'n'cheese. I was frantic..asked the pediatrician. He said don't make a big deal about it. Offer other choices to, he'll grow out of it. Guess what...he did 2 months later. No harm foul.
    My own caveat: if All you are offering is junk then you need to rethink the plan.

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• theres a recipe book i forgot wht its called but u like disguise veggies into like cookies and other foods like that i had read it because my nephew was acting up like that too just look for it, it could help

• Keep offering him portions of the foods he does like, but also a helping of something new. Don't let him get down until he takes a certain number of bites of the new stuff. My son is 21 months & that's what we do with him. It works pretty well... he went through a really picky phase a couple of months ago, but now he'll eat almost anything! Good luck!

Answer by crazysocks830 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Who is the parent here?/ You control what you give your child, don't you?? Stop feeding him the junk food, don't buy it any more. He will eventually get hungry and eat the healthy alternatives I hope you put in front of him......Come on, YOU are the parent here!!!

• maybe pick his favorite color and dye it with food coloring make it look fun but some of that sound not so bad they have stuff thats good with characters from tv like diago yogert ect.

Answer by vidasmama at 12:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Remember that even at that age, it can take up to 15 times of introducing a new food for a child to accept it into their diet. If you tried giving him other things but only did so once or twice then he may have not liked it, but keep bringing it into his meals and eventually he'll eat it. I also like what vbruno said. A child is not going to let themselves starve. Make him what YOU want him to eat, and I promise you he won't starve and he WILL eat it eventually.

Also, someone suggested the books about hiding good food in his food. Please, don't use these. I have such a dislike for these things. It doesn't teach a child good eating habits and it won't build up any trust between the two of you because you will be lying to him.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:55 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• i heard of this woman who makes all kinds of cakes and stuff with vegtables and it tastes good she has a cook book i think its called the sneaky chef.

Answer by jaes347 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My daughter will only eat chicken nuggets ramen noodles pizza and spaghetti and meatballs, no fruit or vegetables so when you find out let me know!!

Answer by momto1727 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• No worries mom!!! I am just coming out of that phase thank God!!! My daughter's doctor told me not to worry about it to feed her what she wanted and little by little introduce one thing at a time to her even substitute the fruit snacks for the ones made with yogurt or real fruit juice. Luckily when I went back to work she went to a sitter who always had a lot of older kids around who loved real food so she just fell in line and also the motto at her school is you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. I made the items she used to favor into special treat foods instead of have to have it foods. It will be over soon...

Answer by gena28 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 8, 2008