Does your state teach cursive handwriting anymore?

I seem to be the only one in Maryland asking how are the next generation off adults going tobe able to sign their name later in life when asked for their signature when they can't read or write in cursive. My son in 2nd grade last year kept seeing things I had on my desk and asked me mommy can you teach me cursive and I said I'll try and in 3rd grade you'll learn it in class. Well guess what now he's in that class & I find out their is no more cursive handwriting just print. I asked my neice who is in high school and she said she can't read it but can write her name. The teacher at my son's school said do to the pressure of test passing they did away with handwriting. Now I no why the kids write so sloppy I work at an elementary school and the writing is hard to read its that sloppy with a few exceptions. I was just wanting to know if all states are done with cursive/handwriting class? I learned cursive & passed test.

neaneah

Asked by neaneah at 9:44 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Many schools are teaching the D'Nealian style of handwriting, sometimes called the modern cursive. With D'Nealian there is hardly any transition to cursive.

There are many great websites about teaching handwriting. It takes many children a lot of time and practice. It would be a great learning project for you and your son that will teach him an important skill.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I live in Kentucky, but I know my nephew who is in 4th grade has been learning to write cursive for a few years now, they must still have it here.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• They still do at my children's school here in NC.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• They still teach cursive here, but not with much emphasis. The middle school in the next town has gone completely to laptops; no books or paper at all. Handwriting isn't seen as important in the computer age. I see a decline nationwide.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• up here they're learning it - my oldest is in grade 3
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• there was an article in our newspaper a year or two ago about how teaching cursive is becoming optional for each school, and probably each teacher. My kids are in private school and they do learn cursive in the 3rd and 4th grades. It really isn't mandatory and most continue to print rather than write in cursive, so by the time they get to 6th, like DS1, they have forgotten most of it.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• In second grade they got the basics of cursive writing ... now in the third grade I haven't seen it yet, but it's only the begining of the second semester so I believe they will be touching base on it again shortly...
    Unfortuntely I or we as parents should not be trying to teach them cursive... over the yrs for us we have fallen into a or our own unquie way of writing... I was trying to help our little guy out and he kept correcting me with my writing...LOL...
    Oh and I am in the thumb area of MI...and I can only answer for our school district when it comes to their lesson plannings...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I am in SE Wisconsin and my son started learning in 3rd grade and then did more in 4th grade. He had to use all cursive in 5th grade. I learned cursive in 2nd grade and had to use all cursive in 3rd grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yes, my daughter started later than we did but yes they did learn hand writing. If you are worried make him practice writing at home. There are books and dry erase boards that work very well to help. Just because you don't need it on a test to pass doesn't mean it isn't an important skill to have. I would push it with the PTA or PTO and the state school board. Keep going up until you get heard.

mrs_mac3

Answer by mrs_mac3 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We are in Texas and it isnt even on the damn radar here. My daughters print is atrocious! Even if they dont do cursive can they give up 20 minutes of the freaking TAKS test to work on penmanship???
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009