is 99.6 (rectally) a fever in my 6 week old?

My 4 year old is running a 101.2 fever this morning, and my husband was running fever yesterday and went ot the dr. and got antibiotics...my 4 year old is camped out in her room, and has had motrin, but my baby felt a little warm, so i jsut decided to check his temp and it was 99.6...should i jsut keep an eye on it?

StacyDeAnn

Asked by StacyDeAnn at 9:52 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call the nurse line. Thats what it's there for. I was told bring baby in if fever gets to or above 100.1. So your baby's temp is getting close. It wouldn't hurt to call. Hope everyone gets to feeling better Momma
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 9:55 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• rectally is always a little wormer. Just keep an eye on the baby.

Are you breasts feeding? BF babies can fight some colds or flu.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:56 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• 99.6 is a normal temperature rectally in a baby. It is not a fever. The rectal temperature is a degree higher than the temperature by mouth.

Answer by Bmat at 9:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• No. There is no need to take temps rectally. There is a risk of causing damage that could lead to an infection that can be deadly. I never allowed anyone to take my kids temps rectally and professionals always respected my wishes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• well he has been consitpated, and the only way we can get him to go is to put the thermometer maybe a 1/4 inch in and it helps him go...so while i was doing that i jsut decided to check...i figure there are PLENTY of babies that get rectal temps...BUT on the other note, i am not breast feeding...
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 10:05 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Keep an eye on him, but, no, it's not a fever in a child that young. A rectal temperature is the most accurate way to tell if your infant is running a fever. You just don't stick it in past the little silver tip.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:48 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Gailll..shut up.

Most doctors want a rectal temp on an infant because they are more accurate and I'm positive no mother would shove the whole damn thermometer up the baby's rectum.

Breast feeding or not...the temp is fine. Normal is 97,8-99,8. And breastfeeding doesn't mean a baby won't catch a cold anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yes, rectal temperatures are ok to take. I do recommended using a rectal thermometer to do it, though. Rectal temps will be about 1 degree higher than oral, while under the arm is about 1 degree lower than oral. 99.6 rectally is not even a low-grade fever :) Hope everyone else is getting better soon!!!!!!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My doctor always wants a rectal temperature. But no I would not worry to much about the fever though.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have always been told that if a temp is 100.4 or higher in an infant you should be taking them to the pediatrician. The only accurate way to get a temperature reading in an infant is rectally. Even those ear temp things that the dr's use aren't accurate on an infant because they are too big for a baby's ear....my dr. told me this first hand. I have no idea why they even use them on babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2009