2nd time preeclampsia?

Hi, I had preeclampsia with my first pregnancy and now I'm 32 weeks with my second and just wondering if anyone had it the second time around also? Are you more suseptable to it if you've had it before? I didn't get it until 38 weeks, so I'm not terribly worried, just curious!!

babz687

Asked by babz687 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First time moms are at more risk of preeeclampsia

Currently, there is no sure way to prevent preeclampsia.
    Some contributing factors to high blood pressure can be controlled and some can't. These are some things you can do that people are advised to do:

Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.
    Don't eat a lot of fried foods and junk food.
    Get enough rest
    Exercise regularly
    Elevate your feet several times during the day.
    Avoid drinking alcohol.
    Avoid beverages containing caffeine.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• thanks gailll i didn't know first time moms were more likely to get preeclamsia. puts me at ease a bit since this is my 2nd pregnancy too. :) gl op
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• ok i just googled this up

Women who have had preeclampsia are much more likely to get it in their next pregnancy than women who have not had it before. 1 But the good news is that most women don't get it again. And those who do tend to get it later on in their next pregnancy, when it is likely to be less serious for mother and baby.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I had pre-e with my first, but not with my second. With my second I got more exercise, sleep, and kept up with my protein. Starting in the second trimester I had a daily protein shake and followed the Brewer Diet.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Thanks ladies!! I'm pretty much following all those suggestions, BUT the protein shakes would probably be a good idea since I don't eat meat often and therefore probably don't get enough protein, thanks for the advice and I'll also look up this Brewer Diet...oh and happytexas, any specific protein shakes you suggest?
    babz687

Answer by babz687 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009