A question for anyone in the military -

I have heard in the past that it is rude/disrespectful for a civilian to salute. So I don't do it, but recently at my grandfathers military funeral, someone (a civilian also) told me we were supposed to salute. IDK. I feel uncomfortable doing so, but was wondering if any of you could give me some insight on that.

I don't remember exactly where or when I heard NOT to salute, but it is just something that has always been in the back of my head, not to do.

I would NEVER disrespect anyone in the military, so I am just confused!!

Thanks!

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 10:09 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OK - Anon :54 - who are you talking to? If it is me, then you are way out of line. Please clarify!!! I was not mean, I simply asked a question.

You know what never mind! I don't care who you were talking to. You are immature and I don't have the time for childish banter. Grow up, find an adult vocabulary and then you can add to the conversation.  So now I am moving on!

Anyone else have something constructive to add to the conversation???

ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 4:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• my fiances in the military and i have never been told to salute...we have a military ball every year where i am formally introduced to everyone in his battalion and all the officers at the door...i am supposed to greet them as normal no saluting ever
    JocelynsMama1

Answer by JocelynsMama1 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The civilian never salutes.

If you where in the military than you do.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• OK - That was my understanding - A civilian NEVER salutes. OK.

Anon :02 - I really am not trying to be mean, but I don't understand the point of the article and picture you posted??!!  I think the President should salute (even if he has never been in the military) because he is the "Commander in Chief".

I am sorry if I am not understanding the point of your post :-)

ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 2:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Obama isn't a civilian, you fuck.
    Anonymous

• WOW- WHY DO YOU HAVE TO PRINT THAT UP? SHE ASKED A QUESTION ABOUT THIS PICTURE, DIDN'T UNDERSTAND, AND YOU TELL HER FU?-- YOUR RIGHT RATCHETLEE; HE IS THE COMMANDER AND CHIEF, THATS WHY HE SALUTES..AND ALSO HE DIDN'T SERVE IN THE MILITARY,BUT B/C HE IS PRESIDENT, HE SALUTES,AND THEY SALUTE HIM.. IF HE WASN'T THE PRESD., HE WOULD NOT BE SALUTED-HE WOULD BE A CIVILIAN. --SOME PEOPLE??
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon :27.  WOW!!  I even clarified that I wasn't trying to be mean, LOL.  oh well.

Thank you anyway :-)

ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 4:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• You do know that rendering salutes from President to military personnel was started with Reagan, right? Any time the POTUS steps off Air Force One or Marine One, the first thing he does is return the salute to the marines. He's also their Commander in Chief.

I can only the backlash you bashers would give if he did not salute during the procession of flag draped containers..
    Anonymous

• RATCHETLEE; NO PROBLEM--THOUGHT THAT WAS WAY OUT OF LINE..YOURS WAS A GOOD QUESTION,MANY DON'T KNOW-I DO B/C OF MY SON..
    Anonymous