Does anyone every try to make you feel guilty for breaking up with your boygfriend? Do you ever just want to tell them what really happened so they can understand your point of view?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• No, but I can understand it happening. It really is none of their business. If you want to, you can simply say that there is more to the story than they realize and that you are not willing to discuss it. I had a friend break up with what I thought was a great guy. I let her know, gently, that if she wanted to discuss the reasons that I'd listen, but I felt also that it was not my business and so I never went any further with trying to get her to tell me.

Answer by Bmat at 10:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Just tell them not to make you feel guilty because they do know what kind of person he was. If he is not a nice person than you should tell them the truth.

When I was young I did break up with my BF (now my hubby) for six months. The whole family was angry with me and would not talk to me and they kept talking to him and he would go out with my family to do things. I was in shock, thinking I'm family shouldn't I come first??
    The only difference is that he is a nice person never did anything wrong, I just wanted to breath a little had been with him for 4-years.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• No, but I do know exactly what you mean, though. I just grin and bear it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Years ago my bf and I broke up because he had a drug problem. I worked in the same hospital lab as his sister. People did not know about the drug problem. I started doing things with friends from high school and people assumed I was with one guy and that's why my bf and I broke up.

My bf tried to commit suicide. He was hospitalized in ICU where I worked and everyone blamed me. I worked evenings and had to do special blood draws on him and special blood tests, they couldn't get anyone to cover for me. His sister and family kept screaming at me.

He didn't blame me. After he got out of the hospital I helped him get into community college and paid his tuition. I moved 3 hours away to finish my BS degree. Its been years and I recently saw him and I guess his sister still blames me. He got off of drugs and is a paramedic.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Just look them in the eye and tell them it was your decision. End of discussion. It is none of their business.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• yes I been in the same spot but that was years ago. people blame me but I tell them I need to look out for me as they were not looking out for my best interest. I told them that I had to do what I had to do. If they didn't listen or try to get past that and were still blaming me I told them ok this friendship isn't going to work and I moved on from those friends too. with every break up your bound to loose friends but you end up making more friends along the way.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 6:51 AM on Aug. 5, 2010