Two babies under 2. Shopping for a new vehicle. Need advice!

We are having our second daughter in February. Our oldest will be about 18 months old when the new baby is born. So we will have 1 front facing car seat and a carrier. I'm currently driving a Toyota Highlander with a 3rd row seat which I love BUT when the 3rd row is up my stroller doesn't fit. We are looking to trade in my husband's 2 door car for either a sedan (thinking Camry or Accord) or a minivan (Sienna or Oddessy). Anyone with 2+ babies have any suggestions? I've read all about the safety of all the vehicles. I'm more curious about the practical aspects. Room for guests, room for either a double stroller or just a touring stroller, etc.

jules0276

Asked by jules0276 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have 3 under 5, 3 car seats, 1 rear facing convertible seat in the middle. I drive a Chevy Impala, I can put my double stroller and a smaller stroller in my trunk along with some other things that are always in there, like an emergency kit and a large diaper bag full of "just in case" things, and still have some room left over. I love the space I have in my car, before baby #3 came along an adult could sit comfortably either on one side or in the middle with plenty of leg room. When you go to look at cars check the trunk space and how comfortable the back seat is since the kids wont always be in car seats. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:25 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Please whatever you do don't buy a minivan,lollolol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have 4 kids (5, 3, 2 and 2 months). We have 1 booster seat, 2 foreward facing car seats and 1 infant seat to fit in our van. I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan and have plenty of room. I have room for my stroller and other things in the back and all 4 kids fit comfortably in the van with plenty of leg room.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 10:30 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My son, I'm the grandma, has a Saturn sedan. The car seat just fits the back on his side and you have to take the child out of the straps unless you move the driver's seat up each time.

I have a Toyota minivan and find it much easier with the car seat and much more practical with dogs and hauling stuff.

There are rear facing car seats up to 40 pounds. Rear facing is much safer for your 18 mo. I didn't think it made much difference until I watched videos on YouTube.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:33 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have an Odyssey and I love it! Very convenient. Yes, I definately miss having a sporty car to zip around in at times but not that much :) Guess my priorities have changed. My husband used to drive a Mercedes and I used to drive a BMW....now he drives an economy car to commute back and forth to work and I drive the minivan :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Nov. 14, 2009