What do you think of this?

A recent study came to the conclusion that the happiest states are also the most tolerant states, while more conservative states are the least happy (in general). There were other important factors (income & education levels were important too), but all of the states that topped the list were considered "tolerant". "The number of bohemians (such as artists), gays and foreign-born residents also boosted happiness scores." This is of course all the interpretation of the researchers, along with how people rated themselves, they decided what factors made people happy. What do you think this says about social liberalism vs. social conservatism, if anything? What do you think it says about religions that promote conservatism, if anything?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• An article about the results is available here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33830268/ns/health-mental_health/?GT1=43001 You can see how your state rated here (mine rated 47th out of 50) http://www.livescience.com/culture/091110-fifty-happy-states.html

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I just read this the other day too. My state came in 4th i think, Colorado...and I am happier here than when I was living in Alabama. I think it could all be linked together. The conservative views to uphold would be pretty stressful if you think about it. Always having to worry about what other people are doing, and how it conflicts with the bible. They spend so much time going against stuff like gay marriage and abortion, instead of just being tolerant and letting people live their life. It would be more stress and to me more stress = less happiness.
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 10:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• What do you think it says about religions that promote conservatism, if anything?
    --

I think your question is answered in your post
    ---

"There were other important factors (income & education levels were important too), "
    ---
    I also think "happy" is subjective. I am a democrat, however, my state consistently elects republican candidates. I consider myself happy. I enjoy my life. I have a good education, job and family. I own a car, house and a dog. I love waking up in the morning. I enjoy getting the kids ready for school and watching them grow. This wouldn't make others happy but it makes me happy. Happy is conditioned to each person and cannot be measured in units.

JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• At the bottom of the article

The Story: Happiest States Are Wealthy and Tolerant

WEALTHY and tolerant. I will agree with this statement but not the statement in your question. Wealth can make a lot of problems seem less devastating, couple that with tolerance and you have a good condition. Tolerance is not the deciding factor. In the end money seems to be a factor just like in everything else.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yes that is why I tried to make clear that money & education were also cited as big factors, but I felt the "tolerance" as a major factor was the part that it is appropriate to discuss in the R&B section. Also, as anon 10:49 shows & the article points out, the results don't mean that individuals in those states will all reflect their status on the list.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i think that conservative religions make people feel bad, like their sinners, for doing or wanting to do things that come naturally to them like premarital sex, homosexuality, etc. which makes people depressed & feel bad about themselves & others.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:21 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I only have one thing to say...

VIVA
    LA VIE
    BOHEME!
    =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:42 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have to say the wealth would be the big issue
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• People that are well educated generally have better jobs and live better, economically speaking. That leads to being happier. Being better educated also usually leads to a broader world-view and more tolerance. Therefore more tolerant people are generally happier overall, but I think the tolerance comes from being happier, not the other way around. If you are comfortable, why rain on somebody else's parade--one defination of tolerance.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Answered at 12:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 by: pagan_mama People that are well educated generally have better jobs and live better, economically speaking. That leads to being happier. Being better educated also usually leads to a broader world-view and more tolerance. Therefore more tolerant people are generally happier overall, but I think the tolerance comes from being happier, not the other way around. If you are comfortable, why rain on somebody else's parade--one defination of tolerance.

I have been thinking about this, it is an interesting thought & a good cycle when it works. However, in my town it is often the people with great incomes & even outright wealth that are perpetuating intolerance (though perhaps because they are unhappy for some other reason, I can't say).

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2009