How Should I Handle This Situation?

I designed a website for a friend a few years ago for free because I was new to web design and I didn't feel comfortable charging her. Now, she is wanting me to redo her whole site and I am getting the impression that she expects me to do it for free again. When I did it before I didn't have a child, but now my time is VERY valuable and I NEED the money. How do I tactfully tell her that I will charge her this time around. We've been friends for going on 15 years and all the years I've known her if she can get something done for free or CHEAP by any means necessary she will do it.

What advice would you give me on how to handle this situation? Thanks in advance!!!

mamasarias

Asked by mamasarias at 10:45 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Offer to do a minor change for free, but tell her if she wants a more extensive change (which it appears that she does) that it will take a lot of time and that it would not be free. Tell her that this is now a source of income for you. You could even give her some other web design businesses, as a good will gesture, so that she has the opportunity to compare rates and what is offered. You can even offer her a small discount. Years ago a friend of mine said never be shy about money in a friendship, that business is business.

Answer by Bmat at 10:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Present her with a written proposal, as you would for any client. Don't start the work until she has signed off on the proposal (and cost)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Thanks for your advice ladies!
    mamasarias

Answer by mamasarias at 7:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2009