potty-training and having a hard time getting to the potty EVERY time......HELP!!

Syd knows not the "pee" in her pants, so she sometimes takes her pants off and goes on the floor.....we've approached every angle form understanding and gently correcting, to yelling. The only party getting upset is the parents. Why does she do this? What is the best tactic to get her consisent??

SimplyMom25

Asked by SimplyMom25 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She may be too young. It may be that she doesn't have the bladder control that is needed for training. I'd give her another 6 months, until she is dry at night anyway, so you know she is able to control her bladder.

Answer by Bmat at 11:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Ask her and take her to the potty more frequently. If you think that she should be needing to go to the bathroom soon then take her instead of waiting to see if she is going to have an accident.
    Anonymous

• SHE IS STILL YOUNG! Although she may understand the concept she may not be totally ready for full potty training and if you yell you may make her regress all her progress.
    Anonymous

• Best thing to do is watch her closely, if she starts peeing on the floor, run her to the potty so she finishes there. If a little makes it in, give her a *small* reward. Remind her pee pee goes on the potty. You can remind her to go, but most likely if you ask her if she wants/needs to go, she will say no (they always do). So if you can tell she needs to go, tell her "I can see you need to go potty. Let's go potty." To get my daughter to tell us when she needed to go, rather than us taking her, I would walk her through the process: "If you say 'potty' and take mommy to the potty, you get a treat" -- at first she'd do it just for the treat (1 m & m), but that gave her confidence in the process and she started doing it whenever she needed to go. I kept the rewards for a week or so and then tapered them off. My daughter trained in about a week at 19 months. Good luck! And definitely resist the urge to yell. It's hard.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2009