What age was you LO when you took their bottle? My family thinks I took my son's too soon.

My grandmother is really old fashioned, but she keeps on telling me that by taking my son's bottle at 7 months that it will scar him for life and he will never get over it. The thing is though, he does great with both sippy and straw cups, I figure if he can get as much from the cup there is no need for the bottle. Why would I let him get more attached to it when he can drink from the sippy? Doesn't it make more since to take it now that he really doesn't care either way? Do you think it could really bother him later? It sure doesn't seem to bother him now.
Also he still has his pacifier how much longer should I let him keep it, or should I go ahead and take it too? He seems really attached to it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is fine without it, then he is fine. My sil took my nieces at that age. She is 12 now, it does not affect her in anyway. With the Pacifier, they also say the earlier the better and easiest. But I it also depends on your child. My dentist told me that now they make them so they don't hurt the teeth. They are way better than having a thumb in their mouth. My oldest was 20 months. His got a hole and we through it away, end of that. My second son is 23 months and still has it. When he turns two we will limit it to nap and bedtime and tell him all year that when he turns three it will be gone. My boys have different personalities and I feel this is the best way for him.
    Anonymous

• It has been proven that if an infant uses a pacifier till after 12 months of age it reduces the risk of SIDS. Personally I wouldn't/didn't take the bottle away that young, they are still babies then.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If your kids fine with the no bottle than don't worry. 7 mo is about the age I started reducing the bottle and I took it away for good around 12-14 mo and bye bye binky by 16 mo.
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 12:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Nothing has been PROVEN with pacifier use.

We took the bottles at 6 months when they could use the sippy. There is no reason for them to still use a bottle if they don't have to. The liquid is delivered to them, that's the important thing.

Pacifiers, we took them at different ages...the oldest was 13 months, the youngest 4 months.

Guess what? Even without bottles and pacifiers, they were still babies.
    Anonymous

• My youngest has never touched a bottle. He was strictly breastfed and at 6 months, when he began having baby food I introduced a lidded cup. He's been using a lidded cup ever since. (And not a "sippy" type cup where you have to suck to get the liquid out)
    Anonymous

• my son was about 11 1/2 mos when we stopped giving him his bottle. he does really well with sippies so it hasn't been an issue for us!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Just because a baby can drink out of a sippy cup doesn't mean you should take away the bottle. Most babies can drink out of a cup when they are born.

Babies have suckling needs that would be met at the breast if they were breastfeeding. Humans breastfeed an ave of around 3 years depending what you consider average. We know suckling is a basic need.

At least let your baby have a bottle. I agree with your family, your baby may have long term consequences from you taking away the bottle.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I don't know, personally, Seven months does seem a little too young, but if he gets all the necessary liquids drinking from a cup, I don't think it will have life-long consequenses.
    Anonymous

• He's being fed, he's growing, he's getting his nutrition. Um...who cares HOW he gets it? If they don't need a bottle, they don't need a bottle.

"Suckling" is not a basic need. Suckling...a young unweaned animal. Get a dictionary.

My pediatrician (who knows a hell of a lot more than Gailll) congratulated me for getting my kids off the bottle early.

There are no life long consequences to getting rid of a bottle. That's just stupid.
    Anonymous

• Good job getting him off the bottle! It's so much easier to do before it becomes a habit!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009