To have or not to have...this is the question.

Please no bashing. I would like serious opinions only. I have 2 beautiful children...one boy and one girl. I've been thinking about having another. BUT, I'm on category c meds, amongst others, and we have a 3 bedroom house, so this means one child would have to share a room. I just don't know...I like the idea of them not having to share a room...and I would have to put my med treatment on hold while pregnant and nursing. Would you have another child...or just keep things the way they are. My hubby and I never had a set # of how many kids we wanted...it's just that now that we're told that with the meds I have to take...that we should stop (per the doc).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I feel you should be thankful for the children you have. We have 3 and in my heart I always wanted to try for a girl but we know that with our ages that we don't want to be senior citizens when our child is in elementary school,lol...
    We have a 3 bedroom home with 3 boys, our 2 younger ones share a bedroom. It's pretty big and they have a nice set of bunkbeds but I would love for them to have their own room.. We plan to build in a yr or so so they can have that.
    If you feel in your heart that you want another child that's up to you and your Hubby... Don't let anyone else decide for you , I was just giving you my point of view..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• There may be other drugs to treat your medical condition. You could ask to see a specialist. Almost all medical conditions can be treated while you are breastfeeding. There are only a few drugs that are contraindicated. It's good that you are planning ahead!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Gailll...do you really think she hasn't seen specialists to be on the meds she is on? Do you think that they wouldn't have checked into it already since they're considering having more kids? Would you stop already.

OP....not knowing (and not asking) what your condition is makes it harder to really know what to say. However...being on meds, if it's absolutely necessary you be on them you really need to consider the consequences if you're not taking them. You have two kids already...you not being on your medications, how would that affect your kids? If being off the meds for a longer time is what makes things hard for you, consider if it's okay to be off them during pregnancy and then don't nurse so you can be on your meds.

You really need to consider what is best for the kids. If that is having a healthy, medicated mom...then YOU first.
    Anonymous

• I know that nothing at all replaces that feeling of carrying your child around for 9 months of a pregnancy but if you truly feel that your family is incomplete, how about looking into the option of adoption? That way some very special little boy or girl would have a very wonderful loving set of parents and you would be able to complete your family! Just another route to go of course!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Our goal was 4 but we went with 2.

2 is enough...we also have a boy and a girl.

If you got the space and money go for it. I know I am done so we shut down the factory...lol

bouncing mom

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The medications are a much bigger issue than sharing a room. I think we set our kids up for a materialistic world view when we think they each have to have their own rooms. I shared a room with my sister and I loved it. I would have been lonely in my own room.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have three kids in a three bedroom house- two have to share a room, but such is life. I would not let that be a huge factor in your decision. Ultimately I think it comes down to: how much do you really want another child, and what options do you have to handle your medical situation during pregnancy? Those two together should help your decision... for instance if you want another child more than anything and there are safe options for you medically, that makes for a different situation that if you really feel that your family is fine how it is and there could be serious health risks to pregnancy, kwim?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 5:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2009