Boxing

Do you think boxing is a violent sport? Should a 22 month old be watching it? If not, at what age if ever do you think it's appropriate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• At 22 months, he doesn't have a clue what he's watching. However, if you don't plan to allow it later, don't allow it now.

Obviously it's a violent sport. That's kind of a no-brainer.
    Anonymous

• Yea I agree it's a violent sport. Hubby and I had an argument about it which is weird we are usually on the same page with things like that. I think he was just vegging at the TV after a long hard day at work and when I brought it up he was really defensive about it. Then he was saying it's a sport and I'm like yea a violent one, and he replied no it's not a violent sport and I'll explain to him that it's just a sport. WTF!! Eplain to a 22 month old it's visual he SEES the violence and doesn't comprehend the difference!! Did he lose his marbles? lol So I just wanted to put it out there and see what the consensus was. I try and be selective with what he watches on TV .
    Anonymous

• Any child can be taught not to mimic what they see. Boxing is violent and I don't like it. However, I don't believe it will affect your boy. Just don't make a practice of having it on if you don't want him to see it as a regular part of tv.
    We need to quit treating our kids like they can't witness any violence for any reason. Violence is a natural human tendency. It must be addressed and properly channeled starting at a young age. That's why I think it's worse for them to be sexualized at an early age through seeing sex on tv but violence is something you can talk to them about. You can teach them that it's bad to hit people. As long as they don't see you cheering it on, then it won't affect them at such a young age.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 5:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2009