Does your pet do anything funny that shows they follow the house rules?

I thought about this a little bit ago when my dog caught a cat scratching the furniture and she took off after the cat barking. I guess hearing me tell the cats no every time they choose a piece of furniture over their scratching post sunk in and now my Chihuahua is on duty as soon as she hears the scratching sound she takes off and i see the cat run away LOL, visitors think it is so funny they say they have never seen that before. (just so no one misunderstands my dog is also good friends with the cats they sleep together play together clean each other they generally like each other)

Do you have a pet who does funny things around the house to enforce your rules or that seem out of the ordinary for a pet?

3_ring_circus_

Asked by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If we forget to let the cat out of the house when we leave for work, the cat knows to do his business in the toilet. He taught himself how to do it and we figured it out one day when we noticed that someone had taken a dump and not flushed the toilet (and there was no toilet paper).
    shakesrear

Answer by shakesrear at 5:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• LOL...That is so cute, I would love to have seen that...

Believe it or not we have a cat and she basically has her own room (not really) but she knows where to go when she is in trouble....lol anyway we were going to the store and my dh don't like leaving her alone loose in the house but at this time I saw her walking towards one of our rooms when all of a sudden my dh says go to your room...she looked so cute bc she stopped in her tracks and ran to her room..it is one of those things you had to be here to really laugh just like your incident...lol I love animals..why did God have to make them so cute and irrisistible.

cat

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My dog used to pick up her toys. She would go around the house and pick them up and bring them to her cage. She knew that all toys must be put away. She began to do this after her "little brother" (my son) was born.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 1:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Aw, your pets all sound so sweet!
    I have a cat who makes his own house rules...lol. He sleeps where he wants, demands his meals when he wants, demands fresher water if he feels the water he has is not fresh enough, lets us know that he wants his litter box cleaned right then and there by scratching at the wall behind it, demands to go outside even though he is an indoor cat but he's too afraid to go more than 5 feet from the door, and he jumps in a tub of water to watch it go down the drain.
    Silly kitty!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Not as far as the rules go but 3 of our 4 dogs will call for the other dogs when it's their turn to go out. We have a routine, each dog goes out in a specific order. Our dogs Daisy and Gizmo will bark for Tella when I stand up, I don't have to call her name even if she's sound asleep on the couch because the other 2 let her know she's going out. She comes in and barks at Daisy letting her know it's turn. Daisy comes in and all 3 start barking for Buckeye who is 15 and in the living room when Daisy comes in and out he goes. Getting up the stairs to come in is a bit of a challenge for him and whichever human is letting him will stand at the door and give him encouragment to get up them. The other 3 dogs also sit there & bark as if they are telling him he can do it and when he comes in they lick him and jump on him. Once he's in Daisy barks for Mo and lets him know it's his turn to go out. They communicate with each other often.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We also have a bed time routine. Daisy and Gizmo share a "room" (a crate) and Donatella has her own "room" (crate). We don't lock the doors, they can get out whenever they want but the crates are where they sleep. When I turn the TV off at night they all head to their "rooms" and Buckeye will get up from wherever he's laying and go lay on the blanket in front of the TV. They all know when it's bed time. The dogs stay in their crates until we wake up even though they could go sleep wherever they want once I go to bed. We can come down here at any time of the night and they are sound asleep in their crates.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• butterfy that is so funny, I can just picture it. I would have died laughing.

hotmama you ar so lucky so far my dogsonly know how to get the toys out they never put them away I find toys all over the house.

PrydferthMenyw I hear you my cats make their own rules I think it is just their nature to be independent, I have a cat who likes to take baths lol I dont know why but he jumped in the tub with my daughter the other nght and loves to put both front paws in his water bowl.

tracylynn my dogs have not figured out order lol they all try to cram through the door all at once. we use crates and call them "rooms" also, I love that they will "go to their rooms" when told.

I am glad I am not the only one with interesting pets lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think every dog I've had has been a big tattle tail lol, especially when there was a cat involved!

My dogs know to stay out of the kitchen when we're cooking, or out of the bathroom when I'm in it, but like little kids they like to "test it". They'll be sitting just outside the kitchen with ONE paw on the tile, I'll look at them (with an "excuse you" look) and they'll take the paw off the tile and back on the carpet lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Our dog really wanted to go to sleep and our son was insisting he play ball. Our son kept boucing he tennis ball and trying to get the do to play some more. Finally the dog went and got the ball but when he came back with it, he went under the bed with it and left it there and then jumped up on the bed and went under the blankets to sleep (never acknowledging our son). I guess he was done playing.
    Anonymous

• I have a four year old Boston Terrier i have had since he was 5 weeks old, Baxter. If my husband and i go out of the house, and dont let him out before we go he will pee in one of the bathrooms, and when we get home he goes to his bed and lays down (is bed it used for punishments). He knows toys arent aloud in the '"big bed" (my bed) so he will run over and drop the toy as he jumps up on the bed. He knows hes not aloud in the kitchen and when he gets caught, he jumps backwards till hes out. And at bedtime he lays with my husband and i, when we say "ok its time for bed". He jumps off our bed and gets in his and goes to sleep. Hes the best dog EVER!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 14, 2009