Why isn't there more information out there publicized for people who don't have small babies or are grandmothers like me, warning that they shouldn't ask to handle newborns? (Or do it without asking, especially!) I'd never just walk up and start touching someone's new baby, and others should have better sense too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's part of parenting really. You should raise your children to grow up knowing that you don't handle babies without the parent's permission.

But a public service announcement from the American Association of Pediatrics or WIC on the topic would be appreciated.
    Anonymous

• There really should be more information out there, like  public service announcements. I see so many sweet little old ladies who "want to hold the baby" and such, and you know they mean well, and they look so hurt when you have to tell them NO, then they say they aren't sick or anything. They probably aren't, but they  seem to have forgotten that there can be germs on their clothes or hands, and it's been a good many years since they had to be careful about touching stuff.

Anonymous

• It's the parent's responsibility to make sure their baby isn't handled by others. The kind of people that touch other people's babies probably aren't the kind of people you could teach with publicity.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• OMG I was just talking about that this morning!!! I dont know why people think they can do that! Especially when they walk up and take a binkie out of their mouth???? I just dont get it...
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 1:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have seen where new parents made and are now selling clip on rings (put on carseats, strollers, etc...) that basically say "Please, do not touch the baby". I am not sure where they are sold but it would be a great gift for new parents.
    Anonymous

• Why does there need to be a public service announcement? Be a parent and don't let anyone touch your kid if you don't want them to!

Step up and grow a backbone!
    Anonymous

• I have a friend who just recently had a baby, and it is always courteous to ask if you can touch the baby, especially with flu season, and newborns.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 2:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I might be old...LOL...and I had my kids when I was in my late twenties...in the 1960's....but I never worried about that ! I can't imagine telling someone they couldn't hold my baby! Holy cow! Talk about fear and the "Baby in a bubble" syndrome. Germs help all of us develop a strong immune system and protecting babies from the environment is kinda paranoid,IMO.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• omg.. it is extremely bad manners to touch someone else's baby without asking first! especially if the mom and baby are strangers in a store! some people have no manners and no class, and will touch some other mother's child without any invitation or permission! agh, drives me crazy!
    Anonymous

• It drives me crazy, also- especially when people touch my daughter's hands! She doesn't take a pacifier... just puts her fingers in her mouth instead. Touching her hands is like sticking your fingers in her mouth... that is NOT O.K.! And flu season makes it much, much worse. My husband and I bought a value size thing of hand sanitizer and when ANYONE (Friends or family) come over we make them sanitize their hands before they do anything. Surprisingly no one has gotten offended (my husband is going into med school so a lot of our friends are doctors, in med school, or pre-med right now and they understand why they should sanitize their hands). I think just walking up to a stranger and touching their child is rude and ignorant. As far as family members and friends, make it common practice for them to wash/sanitize their hands first.
    maureenz928

Answer by maureenz928 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2009