3 week old not sleeping. at all.

my 3 week old got up at 2 AM and took a 10 min nap at 3 AM and didnt go back to sleep until 10 AM and woke back up at 12 noon and has not gone back to sleep at all. what is wrong with him.

a.whaley38401

Asked by a.whaley38401 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is the baby napping while nursing or in your arms? Some babies will sleep in your arms but won't sleep when you lay them down on their own.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• we have tried everything. we put him in his swing, in our arms, on our chest, i even put him in his car seat and went for a drive and nothing worked. im about to pull my hair out.
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Poor Momma!!! Lack of sleep is rough - my son had the same issues! Have you tried swaddling him? Not all babies like it, but I found with both of mine that it was the only way they would sleep for more than 10-20 minutes at a time. you can also carry him in a wrap or sling and let him fall asleep that way. The good news is that overtired babies have a harder time sleeping, so anything you do to help him get a little sleep will put him closer to being able to sleep better overall (it helps end the vicious cycle of being overtired, so not sleeping, so being even more tired, so not sleeping, etc)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• he hates being swaddled. and it sucks. lol. he looks like he has lack of sleep. he has little bags under his eyes that he was born with. they are adorable.
    a.whaley38401

Answer by a.whaley38401 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If your baby isn't sleeping at all, 24 hours a day, there is a medical problem and you need to call the doctor or go to the ER.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It is normal, some children need less sleep. He isn't not sleeping at all. He was up for 7 hours and then took a 2 hour nap. How long did he sleep until 2 am? Is he crying?
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i went tru d same thing , my baby barely slept lol i guess he took after me lol , i asked my peditrician n he said that this no-sleeping-a-lot or -enough type of thing is more common than you would think n is tru , my baby now takes longer n more frequent naps n sleeps longer at night from 3 to 5 hrs daily . hes almost 3 months . 2 things you can do .
    at night when ur feeding ur baby or changing his/her diaper , do NOT talk , sing to your baby cuz da will make ur baby more awake n it will obviously take longer for ur baby n U to go back to sleep !
    i swear it works !
    the other thing is , b patient , ur baby will soon learn n start to sleep for longer periods of times . ik it seems like forever since u r sleep deprive lol i was like da too !

GOOD LUCK
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• As long as the baby is eating good and going to the bathroom good and not completely screaming the whole time they're awake i wouldn't worry yet.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2009