Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mold!!

There is so much of it in our house, it's ridiculous. We have it in our bathroom and bedroom!!! It was all under the bed. My SO rebuilt this house and I asked him why we are having this problem. He told me he used to the wrong kind of pain because he was running low on money and used the paint he could afford. I personally, thin, it's something else. I have NEVER NEVER NEVER had this problem in other places where I've lived. It's smelling like an old basement. Where the frick is it coming from? Any suggestions? It's got me worried!!

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (6)
  • You need to not be in that house if there is that much mold.
    It needs to be taken care of.
    It is not safe to breathe it in like that
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

  • There is nothing you can do if you have that much mold. Even dead mold is dangerous. You have to get your kids out of the house. Your insurance may cover the loss of the house.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 2:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

  • You should have the mold evaluated by a professional to make sure that it's not toxic. Then once you know if it is safe you can bleach the heck out of it and get a dehumidifier to reduce the moisture in the air. Mold is really hard to get rid of, and if it's toxic then you have to have a professional abatement specialist come in because you can't get rid of it yourself.
    beckcorc

    Answer by beckcorc at 2:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

  • Mold doesn't grow because you use cheap paint. Mold is like any other plant: if the conditions are good for it to grow, it will. Moisture/humidity are the most common stimulants for mold growth. Contact you local building inspector's office and see what, if anything, they charge for mold testing. They can tell you how much there is, what species, and how to best get rid of it. Here are some sites: www.cdc.gov/mold/cleanup.htm , www.moldremoval.com , www.nationalmolddetection.com , www.moldcheck.com , www.epa.gov/mold/moldguide.html .
    preacherskid

    Answer by preacherskid at 2:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

  • ditto preacher's kid.

    its not the paint, its the moisture in the house or a preexisting condition.

    get it checked by a professional and removed by a professional. a small amount you can clean up yourself with peroxide but from what you say it needs a pro's touch.

    do any of you in your family seem to be sick? have breathing problems? mold is toxic (some worse than others) and can make you very very sick.
    hypermamaz

    Answer by hypermamaz at 11:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

  • Get out and get you and your children (hubby, too) seen by a doc.
    In the meantime, and this will be expensive, get a professional in there to determine the cause and to rid your house of it.
    It is not the paint at all....there is another problem that needs to be taken care of right away. Your home is a death-trap with mold that bad and can be condemned by the town/city.
    I'm serious, this is nothing you want to take lightly, and I'm sorry that it will cost you a lot of money. :(
    PrydferthMenyw

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN