Breastfeeding and smoking????

I BF my 3 and a half month old son, and i have probably been smoking again for 2 months. i only smoke 5 cigarettes a day, only after i feed him. i read somewhere that it only stays in your system for an hour, and that the side effects or behavior changes were only noticed in women that smoked more than ten a day. anybody else read anything like this or have anymore info about it? and if your just going to say how horrible i am for smoking keep it to yourself.

Huntersmommy113

Asked by Huntersmommy113 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea, i always heard that you shouldn't smoke at all and your not supposed to have caffeine and stuff like that. Maybe you should ask your doctor, he would probably know more than anyone else.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It's better for women that smoke to breastfeed their babies. Even if you smoke like a pack a day. It helps protect your baby from respiratory infections, ear infections and other problems babies of moms that smoke have. Moms can also have a drink or two and a couple of cups of coffee.

It's good you are smoking after a feeding. Of course the fewer you smoke the better. I'll look and see if I can find any research on the number of cigarettes and effect on the baby. I know that a pack a day isn't considered a reason to not breastfeed.

You are a great mom for breastfeeding your baby!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i read the same things as you. however, after 3 weeks, i couldnt help but start smoking again & i decided to not breastfeed, it wasnt the only reason, but one of the reasons was because i just didnt feel comfortable feeding my baby my milk with nicotine in it. but they do say you should any way so whatever you choose is okay for you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I couldn't find anything about the number of cigarettes except 20 seemed to be mentioned as max in several places.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It doesn't matter, really. You're still holding him, right? He's breathing the smoke off your skin, clothes and hair. If you're smoking in the house, even in another room, he's breathing in the smoke itself.

Breathing it in or drinking it in....Which ever.

Gailll...how in the HELL is it going to protect a baby from respiratory infections if you're smoking and breastfeeding? The baby is getting the chemicals, breathing it in from the air, skin, clothes, hair....yeah...that's really protecting it's lungs.
    Anonymous

• It is safe to breastfeed when you smoke. Research indicates you should wait at least an hour after smoking to nurse. The more you smoke, the more likely your milk supply will suffer, apparently smoking releases a feeling that prevents the milk production... What I found when researching illustrated the amount of nicotine passed through the milk was comparable to the amount of nicotine naturally found in foods, like cauliflower.
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• anon 4:11 really needs to do some research on breastfeeding and smoking!
    Anonymous

• i do agree with anon 4:11 that it should be outside. :) my pediatrician told us to make sure no one ever smokes in our house. keep up the breastfeeding! and just do your best to smoke as little as possible. gl!
    Anonymous