How long would you allow a 2 week old infant to sleep?

My DS usually takes 2-3 hour naps but every once in a while i have to wake him up at 3 hours cause i don't want him to get overly hungry. He's my first and I'm breastfeeding him. I heard from a nurse that 4 hours is okay. Is that right? Should I let him sleep longer in those cases?

Marri357

Asked by Marri357 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No more than 4 hours, but i heard that BF babies tend to wake up sooner than that...maybe your a little lucky!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• as long as they want. i was never able to wake up my newborns. they slept through everything. lol.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 3:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• As long as his weight gain is fine, then let him sleep as long as he is willing.

At two weeks the weight goal is getting them close to their original birth weight.
    Anonymous

• Why would you wake your baby up?? That's silly, when he/she gets hungry, they will wake up on their own.
    jenmay44me

Answer by jenmay44me at 3:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• yes, he does tend to wake up earlier than 3 hours but about once a day there's a stretch that he just keeps on sleeping. I'm wondering if this is sometime that his body is wanting to grow and needs the extra sleep. I don't want to restrict his body from gaining weight and growing. He's so small right now. He's just over 6 lbs and was full term.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I wake him because i understand that if you allow him to keep sleeping on an empty tummy, his tummy can go sour. I understand this because i personally have that problem and have had it for a while. I don't want him to get that way cause them he'll get fussy and his whole routine that he's developed will go down the drain.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• As long as you can handle the baby sleeping let them sleep. You will know it after a while when it is time for the baby to eat. But as long as the he is gaining weight then you dont have to wake him. I would just try to let him get on his own schedual instead of tring to make him have one.
    GL
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• You shouldn't put a newborn on a feeding scedule.. You will drive yourself nuts and your baby WILL eat when its hungry. It is very normal for a newborn to take extended naps during the day.. Going and waking tha baby up from a peaceful sleep is just rude, IMO. I am raising 4 children, they eat when the get hungry!
    jenmay44me

Answer by jenmay44me at 3:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• MY BABY DIDNT SLEEP FOR THOSE MANY HRS TOGETHER LOL , AL LEAST NOT MORE THAN ONCE LOL BUT IF I WERE YOU , I'D LET UR BABY SLEEP FOR AS LONG AS HE/SHE WANTS , AFTERALL , YUR BABY MOST BE EXHAUSTED , SINCE THEY GO SOMETIMES A LOT OF HOURS WITHOUT SLEEP.

BESIDES , YOUR BABY WILL WAKE UO WHEN FELLING HUNGRY LOL
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• With my oldest, she would sleep for 4-5 hours and I wouldn't be able to wake her up to nurse. It was crazy, I'd strip her down to a diaper. I'd change her diaper and use wipes that weren't warmed up and she would just sleep and sleep.

My younger two barely went 2 hours at that stage and wouldn't let me put them down ever either..... It was hard, but I sure didn't worry about them not eating often enough LOL

It's true that they will let you know if they are hungry. If your baby isnt' going more than 3 hours, then no worries! And even if they are one or two times a day, still no worries! :)

Just keep an eye on those wet diapers, if your baby is peeing enough and when weighed are gaining, then all is well.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 3:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009