Christians and alchohol

Ok so I have been pondering the whole what we put into our bodies doesn't make us unclean thing that Jesus speaks of. But I also read that drunkeness is not to be done. So I am thinking that it's NOT the alchohol thats wrong here BUT how we conduct ourselves when we are drunk. We tend to get rude or mean and say hurtful things and act in such ways as we would not when we are sober? Am I right or do I need to ponder this more?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• alcohol is not permitted in Islam because of the greater harm than good, and the One True God wants what is best for us. i know your calling out christians to answer, but even though i am a muslim..i would indeed you rec'd more over this.
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 4:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I welcome all points of view :)
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 4:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• you got it.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• may God guide you in doing what is best :-)
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 4:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• The Bible simply says do not get drunk with wine, without elaborating. There are lots of reasons that I could think of that explain why God wants us not to be drunk. The bottom line is that God says don't get drunk, so we shouldn't get drunk. I do not believe drinking alcohol without becoming drunk is wrong.
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• there are a lot of scripture about having a sober mind. interpret it as you will but in my book that means don't get drunk- or high, or whatever may keep you from losing connection with god.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 4:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Thats exactly how I feel. I am a Christian but I drink on occasion but NOT to drunkeness.

Just in a restaurant or a special celebration ;)
    Anonymous

• I think the issue is drunkeness, for sure. Back then the water wasn't as clean and it was actually healthy to drink a little fermented wine (Paul tells Timothy to drink a little wine for his stomach).

I personally don't drink any alcoholic beverages because 1. I am married to a minister and I never want to be anyone elses excuse to get drunk. and 2. before I was a Christian I was a hardcore alcoholic and I don't want to tempt myself to get drunk. I don't want to go back to what I was like before.

I do however drink a fermented beverage called Kombucha, but there is no way on earth you could even get a little buzzed by it. It is healthy for your gut because it has probiotics.

I don't see many people just drinking for the sake of their gut, most of my old friends drink TO get drunk (that is why I don't want to be seen with a drink in my hand; our culture is confusing).
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I have wine sometimes, but I do not get drunk, I only have half a glass. I think that is fine.

iLove.nml

Answer by iLove.nml at 5:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• didnt Jesus drink wine? being drunk is out of the question.
    Anonymous