When should I take my 7-mo-old to the doctor for a yeast diaper rash?

I'm pretty sure my 7-mo-old has a yeast diaper rash; it looks like all the descriptions I've found on-line. I know Lotrimin is usually effective on these. My question is, should I try treating it myself and take her to the doctor if it doesn't get better with the Lotrimin (and how long should I give it to get better?), or should I take her to the doctor first thing Monday regardless?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 4:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here's what our pediatrician had us do:

Lotrimin three times a day.
    All other diaper changes, a barrier cream of some sort (doesn't matter what brand)
    Soak in a tub with water and baking soda. NO SOAP. (at least once a day, twice if possible)
    Don't use wipes, use a washcloth with warm water and pat DRY.
    Leave to air dry if possible (I had boys..no way! LOL)

It took one day and we saw progress. Each of the boys had this once (only rash, too) and the longest it took to clear up was 4 days, I think.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I would treat it myself first! Why spend the money on going to the dr when yo can buy a lil tube of meds that will do the job.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• well if you buy lotramin otc then i think it says something on the box like if not better in 7 days consult dr so i would say 7 days
    mommam58122

Answer by mommam58122 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If you are breast feeding, then you need to cut out the yeast feeding foods. Sugars, breads, etc. I personally would treat it at home with probiotics and vinegar first.
    Anonymous

• Lotrimin AF (athletes foot). Just being specific if it helps.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Get any anti yeast ointment like lotrimin, monistat, even the generic works. Try it, if it gets better, no need for the doctor visit. Has anyone else tried the vinegar? It sounds like it would sting like crazy.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Go to the doctor. Some otc meds for yeast infection will cause burns to sensitive newborn skin. They are not meant for skin. The doctor will give you prescription meds that are safe and will clear it up fast.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 10:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My daughter had a yeast rash when she was 2 weeks old. Our pedi gave us a sample tube of nystatin but told me to go buy a tube of Monistat if the sample tube didn't do the job. He said they're basically the same thing but the nystatin is way more expensive. I'd treat it with OTC stuff first, preferably Monistat because it's made specifically for sensitive areas, and see if it starts to clear up. Also, do not use baby powder on the rash. It will aggravate it. Cornstarch will feed the yeasties so definitely stay away from that. Best to let the baby's butt air dry at diaper change time. Also, baby wipes really seemed to bug my kiddo so we just used warm, wet wash clothes to wipe her while she had the yeast rash. It took about 3 days to go away completely.

ktok2009

Answer by ktok2009 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2009