• In the Spotlight:

How do I get my baby to GO TO SLEEP?

My daughter is about 7 1/2 months old. I'm not trying to get her to sleep through the night, I just have trouble getting her to go to sleep. I've done everything from walks, car rides, nursing, rocking, swaddling, music, etc. We do have a routine and she naps well during the day (mostly). It's at night she just refuses to go to sleep. I will NOT let her cry it out so please don't suggest this.

For extra info: I was thinking maybe she has silent reflux or something like this. I can't think of anything else. She is breastfed and has a little bit of formula. She has never seemed to have stomach issues but I don't know. She's very active, crawling, teething but no teeth yet. She sleeps in her bassinet and then when she wakes up in the night I usually take her to my bed.

Any advice?

sierra32709

Asked by sierra32709 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you think she has reflux, feed her at more of a sitting up angle (should be able to nurse that way) and then keep her upright for 30 minutes after eating. Even if she falls asleep nursing, just let her lay on your shoulder for 30 minutes.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• oh the other thing you might want to do is wear her down in the evenings: That is wear her in a sling or wrap (something snuggly) in the evenings.
    My daughter would fall asleep in it and I would worry that she wouldn't fall asleep at nights... but I would wear her for about 3 hours (over half of which she was sleeping) and she would sleep really good at night. She would go from sleeping 2-3 hours at night to 6 hours.
    If nothing else, it is worth trying :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Maybe you just have the timing wrong? Maybe you need to shift her late nap a little earlier, or make bedtime a little later. OR, you may need to make bedtime a little earlier. Sometimes you will miss the "window" when they can go to sleep. they get a second wind and then it is hard to settle them down.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Well if she's not cranky and her routine is normal, there's really no problem. Where there's no problem, there's no solution. LOL If it just takes her a long time to get her sleepy time started, then she just needs a longer wind down period before bed. Dim the lights, keep the noise down and easy, have gentle interaction instead of rough or stimulating play, stick to the routine, talk about going to bed, and do the opposite for day times.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• If you've got a regular bedtime routine for her, start it the instant she first rubs her eyes. (Or however she lets you know she's sleepy.) If you get her started before she switches into acting cranky/upset, it might be easier for her to settle down. Sometimes babies get themselves worked up when they get too tired. I know that holds true for my 10 month old - she turns into a MONSTER if I put her down after she's crossed the line from sleepy to cranky. Haha

I know you said you do not want her to cry it out, but: if I can suggest it, try letting her cry for just a minute or so longer than normal. Stop yourself from rushing in - in some cases, babies soothe themselves to sleep within a minute or two. You might be pleasantly surprised when she drops off if you just give her an extra 60-120 seconds. Not always the case, but it's worth a shot and it isn't cruel. You can go right in if it exceeds 1-2 minutes. :) Good luck!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 8:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2009