If you are a mom of a kid with special needs, how old was your child when he/she became potty trained?

My 3 year old is on the Autism spectrum and we have had weeks when I feel like we are almost there and then the next week, no potty usage at all. Uggghhhh! Anyone else frustrated? Have any tips? I know it usually takes ASD kids longer, but how long???

jeano23

Asked by jeano23 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have three on the spectrum. My daughter was 2 and a half and both my boys were three and a half. The boys started when they were around two and a half. They would bring me diapers when they needed changing so I just started taking them to the toilet instead and would have them sit on it even if they didn't go. Eventually they got the idea and would come get me when they had gone a little and I would take them potty for them to finish. Then they would start taking off their diaper themselves and going into the bathroom to sit. Then I just started putting them in underwear. They did have some accidents but mostly at nap/bedtimes. I know that my experiences with potty training my boys isnt ' typical for most kids with ASD. I just lucked out. Good Luck to you though!
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My dd has mild autism....I was surprised when she potty trained pretty easy. She was fully trained poop and pee around 3.5. I was just super consistent with her and gave her tons of praise!

It will come, even if its later. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My son was 5, he has autism. We tried everything from egg timers to wearing regular pants! With him, when I stopped and just cleaned him up without scolding him with in 6 months he just started going on his own!! Sorry I don't have any real advice, just that it will come in his time and not anyone elses. Good luck!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I worked in a classroom with autistic children. Most of them we're potty training at age 5, but remember every child is different, and learns at his/her own pace. :)
    AngieAvila

Answer by AngieAvila at 5:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My Autistic son is 4 years old, still not trained. He knows how to sit there, and he has peed before, but he doesn't understand to tell me BEFORE he goes in his pants. I wish you luck.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My son was 4.5 before he was potty trained. It does take time.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My oldest has Autism, he started potty training at 2, and was fully trained before his 5th birthday. My 2nd was developmentally delayed and he potty trained at age 4-- it took him 1 week (with only 2 peeing accidents) and he was fully trained.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My oldest has autism and wasn't trained until he was 6. I have many friends who have kids with autism and some of them never train. It just depends on the child. Be consistent with whatever method you use, find a motivator (you may have to change it - we had to change 3 times because his "wants" changed. Honeybuns finally did the trick.)

Answer by missanc at 1:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2009