How do I get my son to sleep longer through the night?

He used to be able to sleep right through for about six sometimes even eight hours. But lately he's been waking up pretty often. Is it because he's a lot hungrier now? Is it because he is teething? IDK what to do. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? Many times sleep patterns change when they are going through a growth spurt, teething, learning something new, etc.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It could be teething and/or a growth spurt! It is an unfortunate myth that people are told that baby will "learn to sleep through the night" and then it is as if you are "done" and baby will continue to sleep through the night for the rest of their lives. How well/long baby sleeps at night will continue to change through developmental changes and growth for the next several years!!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• He's constantly growing. Let him. Sleep patterns can constantly change. It's human nature. There's nothing wrong with it. Don't stress.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• yeah, when my baby was 10 weeks old be started sleeping about 8 hours straight at night. Then when he hit 7 months old he would wake up about 3 times a night to eat. He's 9 months old now and still does it. For me it's ok because we co-sleep and are breastfeeding. So he wakes me up, eats for no longer than 3 minutes, then he's passed out again. And so am I. Good luck. Like I said. for me it is easy and I don't mind.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Sleep patterns change.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• there is a book called the no cry sleep solution that has a lot of good ideas, but it's really normal for babies to wake frequently in the first year. my son did for the first 17 months. could be a growth spurt, teething, ear ache, or just normal baby stuff. gl :)
    Anonymous