I need some help getting a lot of wax buildup from my 4 mo old's ears. I do not want to stick anything in the ear so does anyone have a good suggestion?

runner33

Asked by runner33 at 4:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go see your dr and if its bad enough the dr can actually get it out i have had that done to me when i was younger the dr can flush it would with water but its something they have to do dont try it by yourself
    mommam58122

Answer by mommam58122 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• They do have baby swabs
    Anonymous

• Wait for it to work its way out or when you go to the doctor ask the doctor to remove the wax. My son was a very waxy little guy so I have been there. BTW the doctor just took an instrument and took out his ear wax, no biggie, but when we do it with a qtip it pushes it further in while this instrument allows the doctor to extract the wax.

Anonymous

• Anon 5:39~ Baby qtips while safe in the fact that you can't puncture your little one's ear are not recommended because they push the wax further in the ear.

Anonymous

• Not if you just clean around the out side.
    Anonymous

• Check with your doc about over-the-counter drops that loosen wax.
    Do you know that blue bulb thingy that you suck boogies out of baby's nose? After drops, you can fill it with a little warm water, and gently, but fast, squirt into his/her ear and this may flush the wax out of his/her ear. The water will squirt in and back out and you can catch any wax build up with a washcloth or toilet paper. Call your pediatrician and talk to a nurse about doing this first.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• my brother had the same problem when he was little. my mom used to clean our ears (as children) with rubbing alcohol and a qtip, but i know now that it is dangerous to the ear drum and can cause ear aches and infections. the doctor is the best option since they have the equipment to do it properly. a fussy baby due to an unneeded ear ache would cause me to slap my head on the wall asking myself "why did i not go to the doctor in the first place"
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• if you can purchase or have an extra bulb syringe (nasal aspirator) you can use warm water to rinse wax out by squirting it in there.
    Now im no peditrician obviously and im not sure of the rules of babies and water in there ears.
    i just wipe it as it comes out of mines ears personally. it doesnt really matter if its in there does it?
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 7:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Don't try anything. Wait til the next doctor's appointment and ask him/her what to do about it - just because you think it's a buildup doesnt't mean it is.
    Anonymous

• I used to use olive oil.. it was good for ds because he was prone to getting ear infections and it really helped in prevention. He no longer had ear infections after i started that and his ears where always clean. =) I would just put a drop or two in each ear about 5-10 minutes before bath time.. it would help break up the wax so it was more runny and during his bath i would wipe down his ears with his wash cloth when i washed him. I only did this once every other week though... NOT every night.. not leaving any wax in there can cause infections as well.
    Craftymomof3

Answer by Craftymomof3 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2009