How can they tell me my son is tall and skinny?

Whenever my son goes to the doctor or WIC and they weigh and measure him they tell me he is a tall skinny baby. My son is 18 months and weighs between 27 and 29 pounds and is 34-35 inches tall. They always look at the chart after plotting his growth and tell me he is tall and skinny. Can somebody explain to me how they can see him this way? He is huge. It doesn't make any sense to me. What are the charts showing? Why can't they just look at him and see what they think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He IS tall for a child that age. and if he only weighs 29 pounds then yes, he is skinny.

They are comparing him to other children his age. That's how they can tell you he is tall and skinny.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My two older boys are the same. Tall and slim. There is nothing wrong with that. Our ped said it is the best body type to have. I wouldn't worry, I think WIC workers have to find something to bitch about for everyone.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• OP-The thing is he is not at all skinny. He has the typical "toddler pot belly." Why are the charts not showing this?
    Anonymous

• just because he has the toddler belly doesn't mean he's not skinny. it's just his build. the belly does not determine what his weight is. relax. it's just a WIC chart.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I am telling you my kids are the same way. They are skinny because they do not have huge rolls of fat. None of my boys are super skinny like we don't feed them, but they are all on the slim side. I think you are taking it to heart when you shouldn't, they are making an observation based on the thousands of kids they see in their offices. Your kid is taller and thinner than most, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009