At what age is it ok to leave your child home alone for just a few minutes?

I have 4 kids. The oldest is 11, alomst 12 and my youngest is 15 months. Sometimes I need to just run to the store for a minute, and really hate to drag all 4 kids out with me, so I usually just dont go at all. So I was wondering at what age is it ok for me to say to my oldest to just watch the other ones for just a minute while I run the 0.2 mile to the store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I could leave my oldest at age 10, by himself..not with the other kids....12 to watch one other child that is over the age of 8-9...no child watching babies...and more than one child. Atleast 15-16 til they watch multiple kids IMO
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I don't think 11 is old enough to watch a 15 month old plus 2 other kids, 3 kids is hard enough for and adult or a teenage babysitter so for an 11 year old I think it might be a bit much. Kids love to get into trouble or go wild when mom or dad is not there and even if it was for 15 minutes, a lot can happen in that time. You know your oldest best but if it was me, na I wouldnt do it.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't leave an 11 year old in charge of three other kids. I have left my 10 year old at home for 15 minutes while I ran to the store, but I brought my other children with me. I would not leave the oldest in charge until after he is 13 and then only with one little kid.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• i think i was 8 maybe 9 but we lived in the country. in mo there is no age limitation to how old your children have to be to stay home, they just have to be able to handle the responsibility of being there for how long you are gone.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• In my state the age that is approprait (SP) for leaving a child home alone is 10, but they say that is depending on the muturity of the child. I think if you left the 11 year old home alone for just a couple of minutes it would be ok, but I am not sure about leaving the little ones there too. I know that if it was me and I had a 11 year old and a 15 month old, I would ONLY leave the two there alone if the baby was sleeping. Like during nap time.
    Anonymous

• IF U LIVE IN TEXAS ITS 12 YEARS OLD AND UP TO LEAVE KIDS AT HOME !
    Anonymous

• Our 13 yr old will only watch our 6 yr old... He's been staying at home alone for no more than a couple hours since he was 12. We don't make him watch our 7 yr old because they butt heads most of the time so he goes with us. It works for us because our 6 yr old hates going to the store and our 7 yr old loves it. It's so much easier to take one than it is to listen to 3 boys at the store...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I left my know 13 yr old home alone for short amounts of time at 10 yrs old. The recommended age in Wisconsin is 12 but it also depends on maturity of the child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'd say the oldest should be 16, with a license and a car available in case anything should happen.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It depends on your kids. When my mom divorced my dad when I was 11 she started going out and partying and staying out all night and my older brother was never home so it was me with my 9y/o sis, my 5 y/o brother and my 2y/o sis and that was fine. I mean really that's illegal here but I was mature and my siblings were well behaved. We had a phone and we could go to our neighbors if something happened.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 8:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2009