How do you feel about the MJ cafe' in Portland?

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - The United States' first marijuana cafe opened on Friday, posing an early test of the Obama administration's move to relax policing of medical use of the drug.

The Cannabis Cafe in Portland, Oregon, is the first to give certified medical marijuana users a place to get hold of the drug and smoke it -- as long as they are out of public view -- despite a federal ban.

"This club represents personal freedom, finally, for our members," said Madeline Martinez, Oregon's executive director of NORML, a group pushing for marijuana legalization.

"Our plans go beyond serving food and marijuana," said Martinez. "We hope to have classes, seminars, even a Cannabis Community College, based here to help people learn about growing and other uses for cannabis."

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE5AD06O20091114

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There are plenty of places like that in California. I'm glad it's there. People need to really take a look at how pot can help sick people.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• A bunch of potheads now have a place to hang out. Great. :(
    Anonymous

• Personally, I'm ok with it. You have to have a script to go in there. Personally, I would never smoke pot, but I don't have to go there, do I? No, I don't. I know a good many people in higher management that smoke. Ygr government needs to get smaller, not bigger.
    Btw, a CM changed my mind about this. Morally I feel it's wrong to get high, but the medicinal properties of weed have been wrongly villified.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• No problem with it at all. I wish there were thousands of places just like it all over the country.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 6:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Hum whatever..I do not smoke pot..although I have many times in my distant past.I would never go to one of these places..and it could open the door to marijuana becoming legal which will have some very happy but like anything else there will be consequences that come with.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:18 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Smoke em if ya got em!! LOL

Not a smoker myself , but don't really care what other people smoke. Just like cigarettes, legality won't make me do it.

Glad people can get it medically there now.

People should be able to get it just like alchohol, they have similiar effects
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• There's no reason it should be illegal.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 6:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I am thrilled. I personally don't smoke, but wish i could. It effects/affects?? me weirdly.
    For those of you who are not "blessed" with chronic illness and chronic pain, let me inform you that the pain meds given by doctors lose thier effectiveness over time. Then you either have to keep increasing the dosage or switch medications. Contrary to popular belief, there is not a endless supply of types of pain medicines. So, once we reach morphine, where do we go from there? There aren't alot of things we can take at home. MJ is an option for some people who otherwise would not get pain relief. Some cancer patients I know personally cannot take pain meds anymore for the simple fact that they no longer work for them. MJ gives them relief.
    So for those of you opposed to medical MJ please, wait until you walk in my shoes. Becuase you just might.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It should be illegal so losers do not have a legal excuse to loof around and be high.
    Anonymous

• to loof around and be high.

How does one "loof"? It sounds intriguing! I always thought loofing had to do with a loofa sponge and was a bathing practice.  Would legal access to pot make people cleaner?  Well then, damn--legalize it now!

Of course1/2 of your argument can be applied to alcohol and cigarettes also--and both are legally acquired at legal age. Applying the same controls would not create potheads (they already exist--just as legalizing alcohol did not create alcoholics), it would remove much of the negative stigma attached by ignorant anons.

PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 7:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2009