Assulting a child

Why is it that if an adult hits another adult is assault and they get arrested, BUT if an adult assaults a child it discipline and they deserved it?

What are we teaching our kids?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• if you mean spanking, thats totally different than punching a man in the face. now if you punch your child, then its not only assault, but child abuse and endangering the welfare of a minor. A light swat on the butt is not a big deal.
    Anonymous

• Teaching them to pay attention when we speak to them. You don't hit children in a fight or out of anger do you? Isn't that what you're referring to when an adult hits an adult?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I do agree with you. I worked in domestic violence/sexual assault area for many years and had long ago concluded our society condones violence. I actively parent my child, utilize appropriate consequences/punishments, and teach him the correct way of responding and behaving when he makes a poor choice. I do this without having to "spank" my child. There are many available options and techniques for parents who want to choose a physically free way to teach their children consequences. I don't yell either. Many parents over the years have found it hard to believe it is possible to be almost frustration free, non yelling/loud, and non spanking. It is possible it is what you desire. My parenting philosophy is I treat each situation with the same respect to him that I would want to be shown if I were him. And.....strangers, every day, ask me how I am raising such a well mannered child. Simple: with love and logic.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• There is a big difference between beating a child and spanking a child and the courts, police officers, etc know the difference.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Every person and child is different. What works for one may not work for the other. There is a huge difference between adults fighting and a parent spanking a child.

If you want a violent free society, then you must first abolish sports & war. Good luck with that!
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I agree with you....spanking is abuse IMO.
    Anonymous