What are we teaching our kids?

Why is it that if an adult hits another adult is assault and they get arrested, BUT if an adult assaults a child it discipline and they deserved it?

What are we teaching our kids?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I totally agree. Also, the double standard that they can't others, hitting is not nice, but then parents hit their kids. It infuriates me that mature adults cannot find any other solution to disciplining their kid.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• oh well sorry i dont hit my kids or beat them but i smack there behinds, hands.
    Anonymous

• actually it's child abuse which is worse than assault IMO. there are laws for both. i don't believe in spanking, hitting, slapping your child. all that teaches them is that violence can be used to solve things. that's not something i wish to pass on to my kid.

i also agree with NightPhoenix about parents resorting to violence cuz they can't come up with some other non-violent way to discipline their child. it can be done. it's what i plan to do with mine when he comes along.
    islandmom85

Answer by islandmom85 at 6:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Ugh no its not violence and my kids know the difference. and i will keep smacking here behinds because that is the only way to get there attention. not every child can do time outs even after months of trying. some kids do not sit still.
    Anonymous

• We are smack'ers in this house - to get attention only. Then we talk about it and use time outs as necessary.

It's a heck of a way from a smack on the butt to full-out child abuse. And um....sorry but double standard? There are plenty of things I can do that my kids can't! Smacking on the butt is one of them, but so is owning a home, driving a car, voting - somehow I think the "precious snowflakes" are smarter than some people think. Children know that adults are different and it's silly to pretend otherwise.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We are teaching our kids that there's a big difference between discipline and beating the shit out of someone.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• what she said. ^
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I understand that not all children are the same, and sometimes time outs don't work with certain children. But there are other ways to get a child's attention aside from swatting them on the butt. I've never had to hit my two-year-old son in any way, and he's very well-behaved.

There certainly is a difference between children and adults; we're smarter, we have more life experience, and we know right from wrong. Does that give us the right to hit a child who doesn't necessarily know right from wrong?
    p3rdone

Answer by p3rdone at 8:16 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I love you for posting this.
    Anonymous

• There is a BIG difference between a spanking and assult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2009