Rent a shampooer, or hire carpet cleaners?!

In your opinion/experience, is it advisable to rent a carpet shampooer and do the carpets yourself, or pay carpet cleaners? I have family coming for Thanksgiving and want to shampoo at least 3 good-sized areas of my house - dining room, living room, and den. I'd prefer to do it the cheapest way but don't want to waste my time and energy if it's not worth it...?

Looking for any feedback! Thanks!

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 6:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I think it depends on how dirty your carpet is. Do you feel you can get it clean yourself? If so that will probably be cheaper.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I've rented plenty of carpet cleaners and had lots of success. The only thing I learned was not to get the carpet cleaning soap that has oxyclean in it. It removed the sizing or protectant from the carpet. It gets dirty quicker and it isn't soft anymore. I also tried the oxyclean on my kitchen floor and it stripped the finish right off of the linoleum. If it looks like you won't have time, carpet cleaners do a great job too. Its cheaper to do it yourself.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 6:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My preference was to purchase a carpet shampooer. I think it was about 160.00 but I feel it has paid for itself several times over.
    Julie411me

Answer by Julie411me at 7:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Well there are several factors to think of...
    1... the size of the carpeted areas that you want to shampoo... are they sm/med/lg ... to large of an area may warrant several days of shampooing exspecially with kids around...
    2... Do you have the time?....
    3... Just how dirty is the carpet? That too will determine how long it may take you... if it's just mildly and it's a med size amount of carpet then it would be far cheaper to do it yourself...
    There are some places that offer under $100.00 for up to 3/4 rms or cheaper... check thru the coupon section of your local newspaper and see who is out there...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Ask around to see if anyone's really happy with a carpet cleaning service in the area. Some are great, some are not so good. Then you can price it. A good service will probably get better results if the carpet's really dirty. Also, they'll get it all done pretty quickly, and the carpet will probably be drier than if you do it yourself. If, on the other hand, the carpets aren't that bad, you have an afternoon to devote to it, and you can live with the dampness for a day, you can save a few bucks renting a machine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I personally would do it myself find a local place that rents "Rug Doctor" units it's simple to use and OMG does it do a good job we ended up buying one because we very stupidly put in Beige carpets in a high traffic 9with 4 cats and at the time I had a dog too)area so we use it monthly just to keep the carpets looking new. Oh and it dries fairly quickly also only 'damp" for a few hours as long as you follow the directions and not drench the carpets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• If you hire a good, reputable professional service the results will ALWAYS be better than what you can do yourself. The equipment is about a thousand times more powerful, specialty treatments and spot cleaners are used, and the technician should have professional training and experience that you don't. That being said, if you are simply looking for the cheapest job, just do it yourself because if you hire a lowball, cheapo service, they're not going to do the carpets much better than you could do yourself anyway. A reputable service will cost (depending on what area you live in) approximately $100-$200 for the 3 areas you mentioned.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I would hire a local carpet cleaner, and I would recommend that you look for one using a low-moisture method, such as encapsulation. My husband and I own a carpet cleaning business and this is the method we use. Soaking your carpets doesn't remove all the dirt, it compacts it down further, plus it soaks the pad underneath and can cause damage to the floor under that, including mold and mildew.

Encap uses a a pre-spray non-toxic cleaner that is a fine mist....the machine looks like a floor buffer, it removes stains and wear in seconds and the cleaner as it dries crystalizes, removing deep down dirt with it. Carpets are dry in about an hour and when it dries you vacuum it and even more dirt is removed from the cystalized cleaner. Your carpets then will repel dirt and look brand new everytime you clean it.

And just to give you an idea as to cost our 3 room special is $109 ,takes less time and looks better than steam
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• LOLOL ^ ^
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone!

Mom2Jack04, that's the kind of company we hired about 6 months ago to do our carpets and you are right - it dries fast and it looks GREAT! The carpet looked absolutely brand new. I don't know what the cost was (because it was paid for by someone else at the time) but I will have to look into it again.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:26 AM on Nov. 18, 2009