tattoo while pregnant?

is it a bad idea to get a tattoo while pregnant? has anyone else done it? i really want to get one, but think i might just wait til i have my baby. i want to get a kanji symbol on my ankle. i know a reputable place to get one done. i've already gone there before, so i know they're safe.

islandmom85

Asked by islandmom85 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Most places wont give you a tattoo if you're pregnant. it's not a good idea. thats my opinion. I read this on some website......"its not so much the ink poisoning that is the risk, but more just having your body go through trauma. i am a tattoo artist and have been involved in the community for almost 20 years, and the rule any self resepcting artist is that people who are pregnant SHOULD NOT BE TATTOOED OR PIERCED! period. because both of these things causes your body pain and trauma, and when youre body feels pain, your body reacts in a physiological manner, and that stress and tension could harm your child. why risk it? just wait the 9 months and get it done then."
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 8:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Bad idea.
    Anonymous

• It may be wise to wait. There is always the risk you could get an infection and while you are pregnant that could be serious. And what if your ankles swell and ruin the tattoo?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 7:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• ah good point about the swelling. yeah, i think i can wait. not worth it. i kinda figured it was a bad idea. just wanted to hear what y'all thought. thnx bunches. :)
    islandmom85

Answer by islandmom85 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I think you should wait....
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 7:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• It is not a bad idea. I have over 22 tats, and many of them were done while pregnant. As long as you're getting them done by a sanitary artist, and care for it well afterward, you'll be fine.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2009