Swine flu/HINI

how many of us will not take the vaccine or take it based partially on religious belief?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i'm not getting the vaccine, but it has nothing to do with religious belief.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Agreed with thehairnazi =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I nor my family are getting the vaccine... there is no religious connection to the decision...
    To me the Flu is the flu... you treat it with common sense...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I'm interested in the religious reasons as well.

I did not get the vaccine as I've probably been exposed (EEK!) to the virus, but the kids both got the mist and I was happy for it.

I mean, Jesus doesn't want anyone to be sick and the virus isn't made out of actual pig, so why wouldn't you want your children protected?

(Or did I just invite a bunch of flames? Oh well - I'm no wuss - NOT checking the anon box)
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Well the thing with most vaccines... is that they are not 100%... you can still get it...wither it's measles, chickenpox or flu... my gs got the chickenpox vaccine, I was told no shot , no school... ok fine... guess what ppl... 2 wks after shot he got the chickenpox.... dr's thought it was so cute... I could have slapped them... I exposed my dd's when they were 5 and 1 to a friends kid who had them and they got them the old fashion way and guess what they are fine... To me it's dumb all these vaccines... some yes I agree with others ummm no.... and the flu is a no... I do know that religion can be the reason behind some ppls decisions, but in our case, it's common sense ... we all get sick sometime in life... our bodies need to be exposed to build up anti-bodies to things... Oh and most flus are viral... so there isn't much a dr can do anywho if you get... treat the symptoms...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Yeah, I am not interested at all in getting the vaccine.

But I am in luck, because we have all already had the H1N1 virus!!! Yay!!! No vaccine : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I got it for my son because it was recommended by his doctor. I have always had lung problems which he may have inherited and to be on the safe side, they felt he should get it. I will not be getting it for myself and if I had better genetic lung-health, my son never would have gotten it either.

No religious value tied to my decision at all.

Some people do not get vaccines or certain vaccines for religious reasons because not all vaccines are manufactured ethically. To name one instance: certain vaccines are grown from a self-perpetuating line of cells taken from two donated, aborted fetuses over 30 years ago. While no fetal tissue is in any of the vaccines themselves, many people feel that the production of these vaccines equates to unethical human experimentation and use of human remains. They also feel it is unethical to support a product manufactured as a result of abortion. H1N1 does not apply here.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I don't need the vaccine, so I'm not getting it for that reason. My whole family has had H1N1 already. If I get another type of virus before the winter is over, well so be it. I'll live.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:21 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I only get the seasonal and this year the h1n1 because I live with 4 others who have asthma, so they are considered high risk. Dh already had pneumonia once this year I'm not risking bringing something home to them. So my reasoning is practical vs spiritual.

I would be interested in reading any posts about those who have religious reasons for not getting it.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I did get the H1N1 vaccine and so did my kids. No religious reason for or against in my case- since a couple of my friends have had kids get sick enough to be admitted to hospital overnight, I felt the risk of the shot was less than the risk of the virus.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2009