Do you personally know (or know someone who lost someone) anyone who definitely died of swine flu?

The president has declared a state of emergency related to the swine flu. I know that was a week or two ago. But, still, if it's such a problem, surely there would be many here on CM with its large membership, who would know someone who died of it.
I'm not asking if you know someone who had it. I may know four. I'm asking if you know someone or know of someone who is maybe one degree of separation away, who definitely died of a documented case.

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 7:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Health

• Yes, my sister's daughter...her best friend's boyfriend. He died of swine flu. Also, my husband has a coworker at the hospital who is on a ventilator for swine flu. (My husband works for the local hospital.)
    They don't expect the coworker to make it. HE HAD THE VACCINE.
    Anonymous

• That's a lot for one person. I'm especially sorry about your niece and I hope your husband stays well.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 8:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• There have been two documented cases in our area that have died recently. HOWEVER, they had other problems, too. The 15 year old girl also had pneumonia and MRSA. They are not saying she died FROM the swine flu.

I've not heard of anyone in our area who has died from swine flu having ONLY swine flu.
    Anonymous

• A friend of a friend I know died from it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• People die from viruses every year. My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2009