Have you ever removed a carpet yourself?

I want to get rid of my carpet. This house was built in 1935, and I know there are hardwood floors under my carpet. (I just got a sneak peek when I started to tear up a part of the carpet.) I've never done this sort of thing before. What do you do about those little things with nails to keep the carpet down? I can get the carpet up, but I don't want nail pointing up from my floors.

Any DIYers who might know what I should do or where I should look for help?

CrazyMom5480

Asked by CrazyMom5480 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We did it in my mom's house. We just used a small crow bar to pull up the tack strips. You should be aware that there may be damage you can not see under the carpet. Just something to think about...
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We've done this b4 (at my parents house n my sisters n bros). Pull it out with a crow bar, but as Nathskitten wrote u will find A LOT OF DUST/DIRT and possible water dammage (mold). After r experience pulling out carpets I learned its cleaner to have wood flooras (of course u neeed to clean 'em mr often) and if u put in new carpet change it in less than 10yrs.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• We removed a carpet from our hallway, and we removed the tacking strips with a pry bar, then carefully, working a small section at a time, removed TONS of little staples from the floor with pliers. If you have this problem, just work a small section at a time, and repeatedly run your hands over the section your working on to make sure you haven't missed any. It's time consuming, but you can certainly do it yourself.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• Our house was built in 1893 and when we moved it we had a ton of carpet tack strips & staples to remove, as well as some glue. We did it the way SWasson did - time consuming, but totally worth it. We also sanded & refinished the floors, and now they look brand new.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• We did this. Just rip it out the best you can. Then we used a flathead screwdriver to pry the tacks up, then plyers to pull them out. It took a very long time. My one suggestion would be don't finish the wood floors yourself unless you have expereince. We sanded and everything and they looked terrible. Then we had a professional come in and our floors turned out PERFECT and the house was build in the 40's. He was worth every dime!
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 9:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• We did it too - same way as SWesson. We took out carpeting in the hall, living room and bedroom. I have 3 dogs, 4 cats and allergies (go figure) and getting rid of the rug was a great decision. We still haven't refinished the floors yet. I did it in one of small upstairs rooms and it took soooo long and was such a job - the rest of the house will be done by a pro (when we save the $$). There was a lot of dirt and grime under the carpets after being down for so long but a couple of well placed throw rugs cover up some of the places where the finish is gone.
    savimom628

Answer by savimom628 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• get yourself a good pair of needlenose pliers and start pulling those brads up and out in a straight up line slowly. match up your floor with a good wood putty that is stainable and fill in all those holes or you will end up with black holes filled with dirt forever. do this immediately before sanding.if you refinish the floors, get a good quality sander and take your time. it is worth every tedious hour sanding correctly. get a good vacuum and get on those knees to clean up every bit of dust and grit before staining and finishing. put twice as much clearcoat on as you think you need and buff buff buff. you'll love it.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• All I gotta say is before you're determined to refinish your hardwood, make sure it really is nice hardwood the whole way! Our house was originally all gorgeous hardwood (built in 1915) but when we tore up our carpet, we found that in the middle of the living room was a huge area where they had cut out a bunch of the hardwood and replace it with ugly, unfinished junk wood - nothing we could sand & finish to match or redo to match since it's so old. We had no way to know it was there either til the carpet was up. So we had to make a quick run for new carpet :(.
    Anonymous