Has anyone experienced getting a hernia while being pregnant?

Reesie1225

Asked by Reesie1225 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did with my first pregnancy, the problem with mine was that my intestines would pop out it was in the right lower quadrant called a inguinal hernia. I had surgery to repair it at 16 weeks because it was causing too many problems and needed immediate attention, I continued the pregnancy fine and I now have a healthy daughter. I did however refuse to be out out for the surgery and I had a spinal instead of complete anesthesia.
    HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 8:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My sister did, but they didn't want to operate while she was pregnant. She was told to take it easy and not do any heavy lifting, etc. She had to wait until 6 weeks after delivery to go for a consult and schedule the surgery. When she went in for the consult, the hernia was gone. She got pregnant again 2 years later, same thing happened.

Good luck.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 11:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Thanks for the feedback. I went to the doctor this past Friday and was told that I had the hernia. I thought all this time it was the baby's knee or elbow! Imagine my surprise when he said it was a hernia. It only gives me issues when I bump my belly on the table or door frame. I was just wondering if it was common and what I could expect now that it's been diagnosed. Unfortunately my doctor was not that forthcoming with information. I am 33 weeks so I'm almost at the end of the road so hopefully this won't cause me too much trouble.
    Reesie1225

Answer by Reesie1225 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• i have one right now. they don't want to operate unless it gets worse. it causes me some pain, but it's bearable at the moment. i never would have found out if i hadn't decided to mention the strange discoloration of my belly button at my last appointment.
    jessie82087

Answer by jessie82087 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 15, 2010