Did you have group b strep?

I'm currently almost 36 weeks pregnant and at 33 weeks I found out that I had a UTI and had to take antibiotics. At my 34 week appointment I found out that I had alot of group b strep in my urine and now i have to take more antibiotics. My doctor said I have to be treated for group b when I go into labor. And on the 18th when I go to my 36 week appointment I have to still test for the group b strep. I was wondering if anyone has had group b strep in pregnancy and what happened when you did the test at 36 weeks and what happened when you went into labor?

mommy2be121609

Asked by mommy2be121609 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had it. They started antibiotics when I went into labor to protect the baby and we had to stay an extra day to make sure the baby was ok. Everything turned out fine. I think I worried about more than I should have.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I did not have but I think that they give you an IV of antibiotics during your labor and give the baby a shot of antibiotics after birth. If these things are done there shouldn't be a problem with your baby contracting the virus.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 8:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• You could test again, you might test negative next time. It could change.
    Because the outcome doesn't seem to be affected by the antibiotics, many care providers do not test their patients. You can check into this so you are aware of your options if you'd like.
    I didn't bother testing with my last baby and had another great waterbirth! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I had it. I had to have meds in my IV too and everything was fine. I didn't have to stay any longer in the hospital b/c of it.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 9:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I tested positive very early on in my pregnancy and to be honest I was a little worried about it when I went into labor. But, I shouldn't have been as it just requires an IV during labor and they PUMP you full of antibiotics just to be sure. Whether you have a vaginal or a C section I'm sure you'll be fine.

Thank your lucky stars you live in the US where they always screen for Strep B, they don't in some other countries like the UK. If you have any concerns talk to your doctor and best of luck.
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 9:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I had it with my first. My water broke and while I was in the hospital in labor they gave me super strong antibiotics in my IV.

I am allergic to a long list of antibiotics, so since I needed the intravenous antibiotic they had a doctor and three nurses on hand with full syringes just in case I had a reaction. But I tolerated it well and me and the baby were both fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Doulala 'because the outcome doesn't seem to be affected by the antibiotics'

Your right, many practitioners don't test for Step B, but they should and your advice goes against current recommendations. Women are given antibiotics during labor, not to cure the bacteria (which it can't) BUT to protect the child from getting meningitis. It's not intended to have any affect on the mother, but to protect the baby.

My best friend didn't bother to test either, so she did not receive antibiotics during labor. Her son suffered major complications related to the fact that she had Step B and he died a day later.

I know this is just one case, but it's one case too many for me. If my friend was online now she would say that it really doesn't take that much effort to test, but to take your chances could lead to a lifetime of regret.
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 10:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• TopBrit~ I understand. SO SORRY for your friend's loss!!!!!!      :-(

You're right, no time to test, but treatment is another factor to consider.

Here is an article that helps to explain another perspective:
    http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I did not have it with my first but did with my second and third. I was given the IV antibiotics and everything turned out fine for us :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I was positive for #3. I had to have an induction so was on IV anyway - but they'll give you antibiotics throughout the delivery and then after. its to protect baby and not the mom. I think they give baby antibiotic too, but I can't remember (have to ask dh)

a friend of mine was not tested - her baby died 3 days after being born. so I think its totally worth the small annoyance to have an IV or the test. its just a swab on the bottom.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2009