night potty training... reasons to do it now? to wait? need advice

My daughter has been daytime potty trained since 19 months. Now she's 2 1/2 (almost). She almost never has an accident. But she has never, EVER woken up dry in the morning. Not even close. Naptime she's also wet. I think she even pees in her pullup if she fights me on the nap and never ends up sleeping at naptime. So now I'm trying to figure out... if she's peeing in a diaper during naptime while fully awake, even though she goes in the potty the rest of the time, should I try to break her of this? I have always heard for nighttime training, it's best to wait until they're waking up dry on a regular basis. I'm nervous about throwing off her sleep because we've had lots of issues lately with early rising (she and her baby sister share a room, too), but I don't want her to form a conscious attachment to the diaper, either. What do you think... should I wait until she appears more ready?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter is 4 and still pees at night. She wears a nighttime pullup.

DONT PUSH HER! Kids bladders just cant handle it.

I would change her to big girl nighttime pulllups....for a while so they are not a diaper and feel more like pulling on panties.
    Anonymous

• Every child is different; depending on their bladders and bladder control the age varies. If she's not waking up dry I wouldn't push it. You could let her sleep in panties and see how it turns out. Don't punish her for peeing in bed, but when you put the panties on her at night tell her that she gets to wear panties to sleep in because she is such a big girl and that if she needs to pee during the night to holler for you or go to the bathroom on her own..just see how it goes you'll know very fast if it's too soon. My son started sleeping through the night in underwear at 3 and he's never peed the bed so I could have done it sooner. My friends daughter started at two. You'll know what to do just go on instinct
    Anonymous

• I guess its up to you to make sure she goes pee before going to bed, then.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2009