for those of you whose kids potty trained early

My daughter daytime trained at 19 months very successfully. But now she's almost 2 1/2 and never dry in the morning. Should I ditch the "night diapers" and help her figure it out? I've heard you should wait until they're waking up dry, but she's peeing in her "night diaper" before she's even asleep, so consciously (I've checked her before lights out and it's been a little wet). I'm afraid she's forming some sort of conscious attachment to the "night diaper." She's very, very wet in the morning. For those of you whose kids trained on the early side, when did they get rid of diapers at night? What worked? Should I wait?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 8:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well my middle child trained at 24mos not sure if thats considered early but she was super super easy! I took the pull ups away because she was dry every night just before 2 1/2. If she still wets alot I would wait a bit because she is still young. My son wet alot at night so he had pull uops much longer at night close to 4!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Keep doing the night diapers. My 2nd son potty trainned at 21mo(his choice, not mine, lol). I don't remember when we stopped the night diapers, waited till he started waking up dry consistantly.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I've been reading a lot on potty training since my son is just starting.
    Everything I have read says most kids aren't dry through the night consistently until five or so.
    Something to do with their bladder maturing enough to hold it when they are sleeping.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 8:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My son was fully trained at 24 months. No diapers since day after his 2nd birthday. We didn't do pull-ups or "night diapers". He didn't wet his diaper at night after about 18 months. I would keep using them if she is very wet.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 8:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I would try cutting down on the amount of drinks she has a couple hours before bed time just make sure shes getting enough during the daytime see if that helps
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 9:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• my dd has been potty train ince 24 mts. she still wore diapers at nite time and naps. but at 29 mts she stop using them she is now 32 mts and so far one accident. it was on her own really. she woke up with a dry diaper before for about 3 wks so i figured she was readyt o use on undies.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I wish I had some great advice. My dd just seemed to figure it out all on her own. She started refusing to wear diapers at all, even bed time. She had a few weeks of bedtime accidents but then she started waking up & asking to go potty in the night. We used a waterproof mattress pad underneath her & I guess she got the idea that it was no fun sleeping in pee or waking up in the middle of the night to change the sheets. She has had it down since she was about 19 months or so. Maybe you should try giving up the nighttime diapers & see how it goes?
    curlycupcake

Answer by curlycupcake at 10:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2009