what helped you figure out what you want to do with your life?

I am 21 with 2 kids under 2, and i would love to go back to school, but i cant afford day care, no ones hiring, and the school campus is over an hour away.... but in the meantime, i cant figure out what i want to do with my life. i dont want to pay so much money for a certain major, and end up finding out i dont want to do it anymore....
and ive only had one job, at mcdonalds as a manager, and yea i got paid alot, but it was such a dreadful job, i HATED it.
i want to do something i love. =D

so what has helped some of you figure out what you want to do? or what helped you do what you already do? and do you love it? what have you done and why?

i want to have every inch of knowledge i can get before i put in the effort and time to do something....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• Hello,
    Im19 I have a 2 year old duaghter & I am expecting another little girl in March 2010; yes life does give us surprises and we do not always live our life like others would want us too (Anon). But i can say I would not change a thing about having my daughter or the baby i am expecting, my kids are a blessing to my life(just like to any mon), so with that said lol...
    I work with SFI & love it. I have tried several other WAH through CafeMom & none have worked out for me. But SFI has been a great steady work from home business that has really paid off. It will take some to build a business working about 2 hours every day(10-12 hours a week). But the work will paid off and you will be staying and working at home full time.

Please take a look http://www.sfi4.com/10855876/FREE
    I know it may not help u figure out to do w/ college but could help with bills, after I had my daughter I knew I wanted to be a stay at home mom
    WAH_Mama

Answer by WAH_Mama at 11:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2009

• I knew in 1st grade that I wanted to be a teacher. So I went on to get my degree and then my Masters and taught for 6 years.

But when I had my son I just wanted to be home with him so badly. Then he was diagnosed with Autism and I HAD to be home. So I started working from home part time. I looked around a lot and just found what seemed interesting, what I thought I would be good at, and what was legit. 2 years later I am very happy with what I do. I make pretty good money, still have lots of family time, my kids always come first, and I've met some great people.

Find something you like, that fits your schedule, and that will have you use some of your skills. I always feel best when I help others. I've always had jobs that involved helping others in some way. It makes it rewarding and meaningful.
    jeano23

Answer by jeano23 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• These life plans should have come up before you brought 2 babies into the mix. I think you should raise them before you could even think about driving an hour to school & try to get a demanding job. You chose this life now deal with it.
    Anonymous

• I was taking an exercise class and one of the ladies was starting up a department for teaching exercise to older people. She asked if I'd be interested, and I was very much so. I realized about 5 years into it that this was my calling, so I devoted the last 24 years to studying and working to teach exercise to older people- a fun, safe, and effective program. So it is amazing what can happen unexpectedly. I studied teaching math in college, I never thought of teaching exercise. Think about what you like to do, write down a list. And consider how you can use what you like to do. Do you enjoy dealing with children? Perhaps you can get a job in a daycare- see what training you need for that. Or if you like cooking, perhaps you can do something with that. or if you like art - decide what you like and go from there.

Answer by Bmat at 9:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• Hmm.. Well I wanted to teach when I was younger. Than I went thru a stage where I wanted to be a fighter pilot. But, after I realized that was kinda silly, I went to wanting to be a detective like on law and order svu. I could still be a detective, but for now I'm going to teach. I decided on health because I love health and learning about it and want to be able to teach sex-ed. .
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• These ladies give good advice. Anon...not so much. Why shouldn't she follow her dreams now? Why wait? My mom was in school from the time she had me. Youre not a very smart person. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• First, to that anon post - I'm sorry, but whatever your problem is, deal with it and don't take it out on a mom who is just trying to do something with her life.
    Secondly, to the OP - Have you checked to see if your campus offers daycare? Mine did. It was free... Also, if you want to be realistic about career options, you do have to take into account that what you "love" might not pay very well. Just keep that in mind. However, to figure out a career path, just think about what makes you passionate. Do you love animals? A degree in wildlife biology, zoology, or forestry might be for you. Are you great at math? Try accounting or chemistry. Do you like to write? Try an english major. Its important that you major in something that will interest you. But if you can't think of something, go for a business degree - they are universally useful and VERY hirable! Good luck. PM me if you want more ideas!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 9:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• I just figured out what I want to do for a career even though I was in school many years ago and did not finish. I was terrified of doing something for the rest of my life that I didnt absolutely love. Someone recently "woke me up" and said, you don't have to do what you choose for the rest of your life. Lord willing you'll have a long life and you can have different careers if you want to! The money you spend (or are loaned or given) for school will get you a better paying job that you enjoy for the present moment. And if you decide to move on to something different you'll have the resources to add onto your degree and do something else. Fear of being stuck really paralized my education. But with all the ways available to advance your degree like online education, there is no reason to ever be stuck.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• My dad gave me good advice when I was about to finish high school. He said "The smartest people I know didn't know until age 40 what they REALLY wanted to do with their lives." I made the right decision by not going to college straight out of high school. It took me three years, but I finally decided that I want to be an anthropologist because I love history, culture, languages, and people. I ran from it for a long time, but I decided that I had to face my destiny sooner or later. I won't be happy doing anything else, as long as it has to do with studying history and culture, I'm there. You really have to dig deep inside yourself to find what you're good at.

Do you REALLY like food? Do you like pleasing people and working with people? Be a chef or a food writer. Are you good with your hands, and maybe with math? Architect, contractor, engineer, scientist. There's so much more out there than just "generic" jobs.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2009

• 2 kids under 2... where is your desire to teach them everything? To guide them in life? You have already chosen your career path. I worked from the time I was 15 and built a career in insurance. Now I stay home and raise one child. I teach him and guide him and it is an absolute pleasure. I would love to have 2 kids. When I was 21 I was still a virgin.
    Anonymous